Menu
Need advice on chinese residency
Sep 15, 2007 02:44
guest75173 My wife is Chnese and we have been married for almost a year. We married (and still live) in the UK and she has a two year residency permit and when this expires she can apply for a permanent residency permit.

We have no plans to move back to China, but I have been wondering how this works the other way round. If we decide to move back to China in the future will I be eligble to apply for a residency permit? I've read a lot about permanent residency permits, green cards etc but I am none the wiser.

Has anyone been in the situation I have been or does anyone know what is possible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Sep 26, 2007 19:01
GUEST76122 Good luck, I am trying to do the same thing. HOWEVER, what I have found out so far is that you must be married to a Chinese for 5 years in order to apply for residency.
Sep 26, 2007 20:12
  • MAY001
Yes, if you want to apply for a permanent residency permits, you must be married a Chinese for at least 5 years.
Sep 27, 2007 07:36
  • APAULT
Strewth, married for 5 years, that's a tough one!!!! People stay married that long?

Oct 15, 2007 09:21
GUESTSCOTT H... What all do I need to do in order to take a teachers job for up to 5 years and I have a Chinese girl friend whom I will eventually marry so I have a place to stay but need to know the particulars for getting a permit to stay in china as a teacher.
thankyou
Nov 16, 2007 16:58
GUEST05789 Not only must you have been married for 5 years, but you must also have lived in China for 5 continuous years before applying. Ane even then few applications are approved.
Nov 25, 2007 07:10
  • APAULT
"And even then few applications are approved." Ah that is what I had heard before.
Nov 25, 2007 09:55
  • MICKKINCHINA
I am also curious now because I had heard that within the five continuous years, each year you can be out of the country for maybe 1-2 months! Does anyone know more?
Nov 27, 2007 10:35
  • APAULT
I would not expect that to be a problem - the point is that you reside here and maintain a home here, trips overseas for business or family reasons do not negate the residency. But who said the system is logical? !!!
Dec 3, 2007 21:03
  • ROBERTL
If you marry a girl in China does this give you the right to stay and live in china with out a visa from then on?
Or for how ever long you wat to stay there?
Dec 10, 2007 20:54
  • BARONTWANGLE
My understanding (of course there are many alternatives!) is that if a foreigner marries a Chinese national, they have no additional rights for any kind of visa. They can still only apply for an L visa under the reason of "Visiting family". The only difference is that sometimes an extended L visa is issued rather than the standard 90 day one.

On the subject of the Green Card. Residing in China for 5 years is only one of a long list of requirements which make you "illegible" to apply. Others include - investing a minimum of $5million US, and being considered to be "an individual of outstanding influence for the Chinese economy"! I heard that to date, only about 500 green cards have been issued, which is less than 0.01% of applications. In other words - save your effort and don't bother.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Need advice on chinese residency
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code