Menu
Why marry a Chinese girl?
Jan 21, 2011 01:09
GUEST80111 Hi everyone,

I found this forum and topic through search engine. I am from Canada and my girlfriend is from China. We are both in our early 20s and have been together for about 2 years. The long distance relationship is killing me. A part of me wants a girlfriend in Canada.I already bought the plane ticket for China I am planning on traveling to China with my girlfriend to visit her family. Apparently in China, visiting the family means marriage. I can't marry yet as I am poor and I can't support myself.I am not sure what to do and I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice. What should I do? Do I marry her first and bring her to Canada and work on my career? Or should I work on my career first and marry later? Or end the relationship and get a girlfriend in Canada?
Jan 21, 2011 13:07
  • BOBERT
Personally, I wouldn't even consider marrying so young. First, enjoy your life and your freedom.
Jan 22, 2011 04:42
  • GAFFER
If her parents agree...which I doubt, marrying in China is the easy part. Taking her back to your country will be much more difficult. The process can take 9 months and you will have to prove you can support her.
Jan 25, 2011 11:21
  • CARLOS
Bob, I agree.

For us it is easy but for those kids in N-Korea it is impossible because for them there is only one truth.

That's what I really meant with my comment. Seems like there are many people who are blind for other possibilities and follow only one truth. Many stereotypes comes from that.

Carlos
Jan 25, 2011 15:32
  • BOBERT
Carlos,
Many of us who are fortunate enough to be born into an open society often still view the world with a closed mind. I am happy to be a cynic and a skeptic who questions everything. The "truth" is not difficult to find but it's often disconcerting and uncomfortably empty. Perhaps that's why most prefer the accepted norms than to confront the stark reality of "truth". In my experience stereotyping and generalisations can be handy when assessing a new situation but are fraught with dangers.

Bob
Feb 1, 2011 05:55
GUESTSAM May be it's not Chinese Men don't have the chance to woo western ladies. It's simply because Chinese ladies are just too gorgeous ;)
Feb 20, 2011 17:17
GUEST14149 Part of the issue is certainly height. the average height of Chinese men it's 170cm and the average height for American women is 162cm. most women prefer men who are visibly taller than them (much more than the 8cm difference between the average Chinese man and average American woman), so only the shortest half of American women would consider the tallest half of Chinese men tall enough. Americans are also very fat on average in contrast to the slim build of most Chinese and how many Chinese men are attracted to fat American women? similar to height, women generally prefer the man to be the more massive person in the relationship, but the fatter the woman the more flexible she is likely to be on the issue.

women of every background naturally want a "provider" and most American women are rather materialistic. therefore they are more attracted to men with greater wealth. since the earning potential of men in China is substantially less than that of the average American, the number of potentially compatible couples is further reduced.

American women would not aspire to a future in China the way Chinese women might desire a future in America, so a Chinese man would have to be willing to relocate to the US.

if you're a Chinese man, are at least 176cm tall or taller, earn at least $35,000/year or more, plan to reside in America, have a fun personality, and exude confidence, you would have a good shot at dating American women.

your biggest obstacle would be getting that first date. because of the stereotype differences discussed above, American women will often reject Asian men as potential partners because of their assumptions about them. your best bet is to spend time in the US and meet girls in person so they can get to know you and recognize your value.

it's a shame American women don't rank intelligence as high as those other criteria. I wish you luck!
Feb 23, 2011 21:40
  • HERBEAT
Hmm... average height is 162 cm??? I'm 177 and I find lots of girls are even taller than me.............. Am I in China?
Feb 23, 2011 23:11
  • BOBERT
Old Australian axiom....we are all the same height when laying down.

Fortunately I am 178 Yolanda so there is a chance for us yet.
Feb 24, 2011 04:48
  • DODGER
So all is revealed then. Bob is a short arse.
But I sadly add that I am only 175 on a good day, and quickly shrinking, as old people tend do.
Dodger.
Page 44 of 58    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why marry a Chinese girl?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code