Menu
Individualist and Collectivist Cultures
Mar 25, 2008 23:03
GUEST1955 Currently, we are citizens of a global village. The culture is globalized. It is mixed culture we are in.
Mar 25, 2008 23:22
  • GARYKINKADE
Whether an individualist or a collectivist society (or culture), in my opinion, when abuses to the general populace are created because of the extremes of either, then adjustments are made over a period of time(wars, population uprisings, negotiations) to gravitate to the center.
Apr 5, 2008 19:56
GUESTLIVDOLU Hello friends, I wish I had come here earlier as the forums are well organized and I look forward
to gaining further knowledge and sharing my experiences. Ive been reading the posts and learning
quite a bit from the members.
Apr 6, 2008 20:47
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I consider myself a global citizen. When you start appreciating each country’s beauty and ugliness, when you learn that migration populated various continents tens of thousands years ago, there is no room for pride but appreciation for all cultures.
Apr 22, 2008 15:27
GUEST10885 Im doing a project on individualist and collectivist cultures and Im having trouble coming up with a video clip demonstrating a collectivist cultures.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Sep 15, 2008 15:30
GUEST15522 SHESGOTTOBE: I didn't understand a word your said.

GUEST10885: Can't find a video clip, MAKE ONE.
Sep 16, 2008 03:44
GUESTJORDAN Individualist and collectivist cultures are at the same time oposite and the same. Only the aspect of understanding is different. The white people are teached to be initiative, leader and dominant among his kind. The asian (chinese) are more packed up animals. They are safe in the pack. Thats why thay are staying in the pack. The sence is very strong If somebody is insulted then the whole pack will come and beat you back. In the White packs you have to be strong to survive alone.
There are good and bad things about both. The bad in collective one is that noone is responsible and one should be blamed if soemthing happened. If you are working in company that can bring you a lot of trouble. In individualist you are the one who is responsible and you are the guy which should be blamed and you can be eeaten (if you are not strong) by the wolves.
You cannot choose side.... You are born like that
P.S. Every culture has a family traditions and family gathering that doesn't mean you are a collective culture ;)
Oct 13, 2008 07:51
  • JOSHIRV57
Its a personal way of thinking. However most are confused as is read here.One person is not going to have the answers,or even a few.Thus,people ask questions
which many life times could not even begin to find the answers.Its actually what you find within ones'self for your personal answer,to your own personal being is
reflected from.The influences from others lives,effect yours.Its whatever you wish to have for yourself,and in reality is not beyond your goals in life.Your knowledge
is always with you,and ceases when you die.Then it all begins again,with another persons thoughts to push the questions further along.Its like a relay race.You
may always be running,to finish,but some one is there to carry the stick you carry,further.
Oct 13, 2008 08:05
  • JOSHIRV57
So Leonardo, its fair to say,that some one is doing onto you,so you must have no need to be angry,when some one repels any attack of words and thoughts from
you.So long as you are some one who becomes a judge of anothers words or thoughts ,then you must expect the same in return,without whining foul play.Its a shame that you do not answer all the questions which are asked of you,but instead wonder what right some one has to ask,when I have been here only a few days
reading your threads and replies,and yet you question my questions to you,and offer a challenge as to why or what my purpose is. What is your purpose,of being a
person who has acquired so much knowledge that when asked,you do not give any explanations at all,instead you ask why a person would ask you such questions
. A person who is so informative and intervening all the time in others threads,must certainly be a Old Man,and have learned from many years of life experience,
and was also a traveler of renowned capibilities,to be so fruitful with the wisdom you really would love to have in your life. You must be very old,and most certainly
not a young man. You are so resourceful ion so many subjects,as like there is nothing you do not know in life.
Oct 19, 2008 20:55
  • WCTMAN
Like all cultures, the Chinese demonstrate features of both. As a collective culture, immediate family is absolutely first and foremost. To a lesser extent, collectivism extends to family relatives and family friends. Outside of this, the individual culture takes over. To the Chinese, individual culture is expressed as a complete disregard for the rights of the community or other people. In the absence of a civil code of behaviour, as expressed thru and enforced by a culturally accepted and respected system of laws, written or unwritten, what else is to be expected? Without civil ( read social ) sanction, a culture which is centered in the belief that what other people do is "none of my business", we witness all manner of behaviour which, to western ( read non - Chinese ) eyes is beyond explanation. Examples include: full throat, cough your lungs out spitting on the streets, in restaurants, buses, gym locker rooms, in short, wherever people congregate; full nasal clearance in the same fashion as public spitting; public urination; anarchy on the roadways, with no enforcement of any rules which may or may not actually exist; littering; no concept at all of "first come, first served", whether it be for service in a bank, or getting on or off buses or elevators.

I am sure we have all seen the Chinese guy who takes a break from polishing his car, inside and outside, to spit on the street, clear his nostrils, walk over to the nearest fence or bushes to take a leak before proceeding back to his car to continue polishing and scrubbing it.

You may be thinking that the writer is bitter about living in China. On the contrary, I have been here for over 3 years, and will likely be here for a few more. I have nothing but respect and admiration for my Chinese friends, as I see them with their collective faces on. Yes, it is true that I loathe the public Chinese, but I have long since learnt to accept them. It is hopeless to change them, and besides, it is "none of my business".
Page 2 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Individualist and Collectivist Cultures
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code