Menu
Is this performance art?
Sep 27, 2007 22:26
  • DREAMLIFE
Have you ever seen this artwork? Two exaggerated breasts are placed on a huge pedestal which is formed by 0.1 billion yuan (only 2 million yuan are real money). The artist who created this work said that he wants to criticize people's endless greed in this materialized and commercialized world resorting to his work.

However, this 'excellent' work can not be easily understood. On September 23th, a person entered the exhibition hall with a bottle of shit in his hands. After entering the hall, he scattered it on the artwork. This made the artist very angery. He exclaimed:" Perhaps, you can not understand it. But you should not destroy it."

What do you think of it? Is it easy for you to understand this artwork? How about that person's action? Is it performance art to scatter shit on the artwork?

Please look at this artwork.

Sep 27, 2007 22:43
  • APAULT
Is it art? It is certainly a valid comment and criticism of modern society with its preoccupation with money and sex ( I assume breasts were chosen for that reason rather than motherhood). It is visual, it depicts aspects of life. So yes, I say it is art with a social comment. Whether you like it or not, is for each person to decide. Personally, as a piece of art, it doesn't grab me, and as a social comment it seems a bit weak.

Sep 28, 2007 03:21
  • ICEBERG
What is art? What is performance art? Perhaps, I have poor taste of beauty and art. It is hard for me to take it as art. If this is art, then everyone can be an artist. Just wear beautiful wedding dress with long buckteeth disguised and run madly on the street, you will be called artist too because you perform the performance art.

Once a man just prepare thousands of apples on the road, and then a road roller rolled all the apples into pieces. That is his performance art. Can you understand it?
Sep 28, 2007 04:52
  • CONNY129
I can not accept this kind of so-called art, put money on the table with a statue of a naked and exaggerated woman, it is performance art? Flubdub !!
Oct 3, 2007 21:56
  • BBQQ
Paul is right. The artist tries to make a social comments. People's greed can never be satisfied. Considering of art, I really can not uderstand it.
Post a Reply to: Is this performance art?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code