Menu
Advice on working in China and marriage
Sep 29, 2007 16:49
  • DAVEC
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the 2 subjects.

Firstly I plan to move to China. I am going to do travel photography but will probably need to supliment this with a job of some sort. How practical is my plan? Can I move easily or will I be better getting work permit and stay for some months?

Secondly, I have lovely Chinese girlfriend and would ultimatly like to marry her. She would prefer wedding in China so all her friends and family can attend. Can you give me advise on marriages in China?

Thanks in advance
Sep 29, 2007 23:25
  • GRIZ326
Teaching English was/is an easy way to get a visa allowing you to stay for an extended period of time. My guess is that getting an extended visa to take pictures would prove to be difficult.

Oct 5, 2007 00:40
  • DAVEC
What about marrying Chinese woman? is wedding in China easier that UK wedding? What would I need to do if I want to marry her in China?
Oct 5, 2007 12:48
GUEST01219 Congratulations!
You know, Chinese wedding traditions are quite different even among different places. I don't know where your girlfriend is from. No matter south or noth, in most situations, man needs to pay for everything, except the girl's family is very rich. If you have taken enough money, according to local tradition, I think the girl's family will take care of everything. that will be fun.
Oct 6, 2007 06:48
  • CLAUDIUS
traditionally, her family plays a major part in (the decision making for) such ceremonies like a wedding. i suggest you could ask what her parents require of you before you proceed with the wedding. If they are satisfied, you are accepted as part of the family, otherwise (in a case of my friend), both of you will get much troubles which will ultimately place a lot of stress on your girlfriend.

In legal sense, all you need is your passport and a proof from your native country that you are still unmarried.
Oct 6, 2007 12:30
  • APAULT
I have met foreigners freelancing from China. As you are not employed you can operate on a tourist visa but you will have to exit every three months and you might get to the point where they refuse you any more. Working as a teacher in a college is effectively a part time job so you would have plenty of time for other things, but only a limited amount of time to travel elsewhere. The Z visa would be excellent for you. Private language centres regularly want teachers full or part time, but often cannot get you the Z visa, though they can often get you an F visa. You might alo get a business related to your photography which is willing to assist you getting an F visa valid for upto a year (it depends). However, you are not really supposed to work on an F, 'not really'. If you are a journalist you can get a special visa and be eligible for reduced entrance fees to some national sites.
Oct 6, 2007 16:25
  • DAVEC
Thanks for the info Paul, at the moment I am not really sure what I need to do but obviously need a job and being English I can speak it fairly well so teaching is an option but not high on my list.

Now, how about we talk about rugby? for once we have beaten you at a game of some sort.
Oct 7, 2007 10:42
  • APAULT
Good one Dave. Yes a win at something .... perhaps that will spur on the cricketers, they need something. But no-one can knock the high standard of real football in Britain (even though most teams are mostly made up of foreigners, haha).

Oh and I believe there is another option, there are softer visa requirements for people employed by overseas funded businesses (but don't ask me what the definition is of overseas funded).
Oct 7, 2007 14:40
  • DAVEC
Cricket? na, lets not go there.

I think I understand my options now for the visa, but how about marriage? I have lovely woman and one day we will get married, so is it better that I marry her in China or back here in UK?
I have no idea what a marriage involves in terms of ceremony, customs, costs and so on in China, what do I need to be able to marry her? must I have lived in the country for a period of time, do I need to have job??
Oct 9, 2007 11:05
  • APAULT
Dave... use the Forums search. There has been so much written in recent weeks it should keep you going for days. One small aspect of marriage here that I haven't see mentioned is that you can get married before the wedding!!! You go to the government office and register. No formality, no ceremony, but when you leave you are legally married. You can then have a wedding. A past colleague registered in August and will get married next week!

On ceremonies and customs...ask the bride to be _ I ma sure she and her mother will have some strong opinions and what you want will matter litlle. You see, Chinese culture is not as different from western ones as some people make out!!
Oct 11, 2007 13:14
  • CARLOS
Dave, You are planning to move to China. For some months or longer time?

Maybe, just maybe easier to get visa if married in China and if Your lao po lives there.

About getting married in China.
Like said above, You need a passport and a proof that You are unmarried whatever that might be. In Finland we use an international 6-language certificate. As an EU-country, maybe Your local notary office gives You that or something like that. NO blood tests required in China.
When in China, You need a photo of You and Your lao po. It is not a wedding photo, but it is put to Your wedding diploma Any photo shop there can take it. Normal clothing to that unless You want something else.

Your certificate must also be translated in Chinese.
What papers Your lao po needs, I don´t know, but I´m sure she will.
When papers are ready, then go to marriage office and get married. Prepare to spend all day to that.

If You and Your lao po choose to have Chinese wedding, be sure You know what is talked about every time You think talk about money or something that costs money. They - not her family - but all other (wedding photo studio in front of all) sure know how to move Your yuans to their pockets.

If You go Chinese wedding all the way (Chinese way) sure will not be easy, but sure will be one of a kind experience.
If You can afford it, then just float by the river and enjoy.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Advice on working in China and marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code