Menu
Why is there no Native Chinese Nobel Laureate?
Oct 10, 2007 03:23
  • KATRINA
French scientist Albert Fert and Peter Grunberg of Germany won the 2007 Nobel Prize in physics for the discovery of giant magnetoresistance, the Nobel committee announced on October 10th.

After reading this piece of news, I can't help pondering why there is no native Chinese Nobel Prizewinner. Once upon a time, the Chinese people have created splendid Chinese Civilization. Compass, gunpowder, printing and papermaking testify the former glory of the "Giant Oriental Dragon".

What's wrong with Chinese people? Has Chinese people's creativity diminished? Why did America own almost half of the population Nobel Laureate? A headache!
Oct 10, 2007 05:04
  • BBQQ
For the Nobel Literature Prize, I think that those Chinese writers' works do not cater to the westerners. Another reason is that Chinese is hard to learn and understand. For the Nobel Prize of Science, we have to admit that China is inferior to those developed nations in the world.
Oct 10, 2007 05:06
GUESTFIONA I think language is a problem. When Chinese scientists discover something, the explanation of this discovery to the world may need too long a time, so long that it is not a new discovery any more. In literature area, no translation can be as perfect as its original, especially those books with strong national characteristics.
Oct 10, 2007 05:33
  • DODGER
Individual freedom of thought creates new ideas from individuals. This is now starting to happen in China.
Innovation needs all of the above to succeed.
Dodger.
Oct 10, 2007 22:01
  • WINDENERGY
Good point6, Dodger
Although this is now starting to happen in China, I feel the pull of the 'traditional' customs and culture holding everything back from any real change. If you mention the pollution crisis in China. people here still almost refuse to accept that it is real.
I think Chinese science is catching up to the west (look at their manned space projects). I think their engineering abilities are superior to the west. Also their writing does not cater to the Euro-American world of Nobel Peace Prize credentials, therefore cannot compete. Too much is lost in the translation, as the Chinese people like to remind me.

__WINDENERGY__
Oct 10, 2007 23:09
  • GRIZ326
Be patient. China's time is coming.
Post a Reply to: Why is there no Native Chinese Nobel Laureate?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code