Menu
1 Week in China. 3 Young guys. Which city to visit?
Oct 13, 2007 12:50
  • JJASC
I'm going to china during my university reading break (November 11-18).

I'm flying from Canada to Hong Kong on a Saturday, will arrive in Hong Kong late on Sunday then taking a bus from Hong Kong to Shenzen early monday morning, where I then have a choice to fly to any city. We then have that same monday till friday (we fly back to guangzhou firday night).

I'm going with two of my friends who have never been to china (I went to china for three weeks in the summer. I visited about 9 cities).

I need somewhere where there is alot to see and do, gives a good representation of chinese culture (for my firends), and has VERY SENIC places to visits outside of the city (couple hours bus or train). I'm a very serious amature photographer and will be bringing 4 thousand dollars of camera equipment, so I want to capture some really scenic landscapes while I'm there.

I was thinking either Shanghai, which has lots to see and do in the city, an amazing night life for three you guys to sample, and some nice scenic areas/ citys close buy (huangshan, suzhou, hangzhou). I've been to Shanghai and Hangzhou in the summer and loved both cities. However, as cool as Shanghai is, it doesn't really feel too chinese, more like new york with chinese people. I almost want somewhere that has more chinese culture and feel to it.

So I am also kicking around with going to Chendu. I have never been there before. It's supposed to have an amazing nightlife, fantastic food, a laid back culture, more chinese culture than shanghai, and some fantastically beautiful areas to visit a few hours outside of the city (juizhaigou for one).

As an aside, will the autum colors still be present in jiuzhaigou around November 13th? Will I have enough time to see chengdu and jiuzhaigou in 5 days?)

What about huangshan? Is mid november a good time to visit this mountain range? Will the fall colors still be present? Is it feasible to take a day, overnight trip there from shanghai, when I only have like 4-5 days?

Help me decide between the two cities. If you guys feel another city meets my criteria, feel free to suggest it.

You guys can visit my flickr page if you want to see pictures from my last trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautifulhorizons/sets/72157601896632108/

Thanks

Ben
Oct 13, 2007 13:54
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
JJasc,

What kind of gear are you going to be working with?
Oct 13, 2007 14:35
  • JJASC
A Digital SLR (canon 30D), expensive carbon fiber tripod and ballhead, and several expensive lenses and filters.
Oct 13, 2007 17:52
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Not bad. How do you have your data storage planned out?
Oct 13, 2007 23:57
  • JJASC
Yes, I have 16 gigs of mem, which is plenty for the 7 days I will be in china.
Oct 14, 2007 00:34
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Damn, that is a lot of compact flash.
Oct 15, 2007 03:13
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Damn, seeing as no one helpful has replied, I will post just to bump it up from being pushed off the main page.

Danny
Oct 15, 2007 04:08
  • TUNGSHUNGHWA
I suggest you go to Guilin . You will like the city
Oct 15, 2007 11:51
  • APAULT
Yes, do the Guilin Yangshuo area, but even Guilin is not a city in the normal Chinese sense, it is much smaller. I consider Yangshuo a tourist trap, but it is just what many young people are looking for and there is plenty of accommodation form budget upwards. At this time of year it should be much quieter than when I visited in the summer. And you will get plenty of scenery I can asure you. There's plenty of info on this area in here and other sites.
Oct 15, 2007 12:31
  • JJASC
Thanks. In the summer, I did go to Guilin (for like a night and part of the next day) then spent 3 days in yangshuo.

I should have mentioned the places I've been to: Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Guillin, Yangshuo, Guangzhou.

I loved shanghai & yangshuo the best. Beijing, while culturally interesting, was dirty and polluted as hell. It would be, mid november, probably pretty cold.

I could consider yangshuo again. I'm going with a buddy who's never been to china before. I think he might want to see a bigger city though, and we only have like 4 nights in a city. I would feel too rushed in yangshuo.

I'm really considering chengdu because of the great food, nightlife, chill pace of life and the stunning scenery around it. I am especially hopping for the colorful leaves to still be present mid november, but I'm not sure if that's too late...

Oct 15, 2007 20:01
  • BILLCAI
Hi,
I sent you an e-mail, hope you received it and I look forward to your reply soon.
Best Regards.
Bill
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 1 Week in China. 3 Young guys. Which city to visit?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code