Menu
Do you ever taste taco?
Nov 20, 2007 01:10
  • SHIVAH
=D any time BBQ

I love cooking, and im having a lot of fun looking at the chinese food recipies. Currently i might try and make dumplings :x hopefully it will turn out ok.
Nov 20, 2007 03:39
  • BBQQ
SHIVAH, it is not different to make dumplings. Just have a try :-)
Nov 20, 2007 09:35
  • JCNILE123
Shivah, I do not know how much wrong can I am about this, but I never saw corn tortillas in China, maybe hard shell for tex-mex tacos at the big supermarkets I do think I saw them at the store, in big cities that is like Guangzhou, HK, and Beijing.
Do you know any different?
I love Mexican tortillas, corn or flour.
I have seen some flour tortillas like north Mexico or USA tortillas that are use for Chinese cuisine.
However, corn, I doubt it.
Do I am wrong? I hope I do, because my girl friend love's me coking for her, and I introduce her to Cuban American and Tex-Mex cooking and she love's it, to the point that she learned some dishes and then she cook at home for her family, She is from Hunan province, Hunan food is hot like Mexican.
If you know about north Mexico or Tex-Mex flour tacos, chicken or beef are ok, can you share a recipe?

jcl
Nov 25, 2007 22:48
  • BLUEYANKEE44
To have good Tacos,or Burritos,just go to Mexico,or a neighboring state,or actually any U.S.A.State
as all have good Mexican Food,Chain Restaurants,and Local Mexican Citizen Restaurants .You will
be rewarded with authenic Mexican Food,unlike any food you may purchase here in China,or any
other country.Real food from any country other than the South American and Central America Regi
ons can find it hard to duplicate the real taste of Mexican Fare.
The soil is different and therefore,the unique taste is lost,if the real food is not imported which reveals
the real taste,of the Taco.The many types of Mexican food vary,and is very hot food.The hotter,is the
better!! Mexicans are a unique people,with food and dress,and unlike any thing you may find in other
Spanish speaking countries,though it is a very poor country,and the money value,is similiar to China
s. Do not confuse Mexican Food made in other countries ,as the same taste,and made exactly the
same way.(Perhaps,if you know how Mexicans prepare their food,where they live in the country,you
may think twice of eating too much of it,as it is not a diet food,and has other foods,eaten with them
which is questionable,to anyones taste or preparation of content.Real Mexican food is an acquired
taste.
Jan 25, 2008 05:41
GUEST12818 Does anyone know how to say taco in Chinese?
Jan 27, 2008 21:09
  • JIMMYB
GUEST12818, it is 墨西哥玉米卷 in Chinese.
Feb 11, 2008 12:12
  • SHIVAH
OOHhh where to begin replying : sorry about the delay I've been in china and really busy!
Quote:
BLUEYANKEE44
"...unlike any food you may purchase here in China,or any other country.Real food from any country other than the South American and Central America Regions can find it hard to duplicate the real taste of Mexican Fare."
Reply:
I actually had a chance to prepare an authentic Mexican meal in China. The ingredients in Chinese cuisine are surprisingly similar to Mexican ingredients. I was rather surprised to find some of the same flavors exist in Chinese cooking and in Mexican cooking. For example the combination of cumin and chili powder in a lot of the food had me thinking for a second about Mexican flavors. (I was in Qingdao and not in so. china, where I think the flavors are very different) I was able to find all the ingredients for a true mexican meal which consisted of:

bacon refried beans
chicken tomato rice with peas and carrots
cucumber, carrot and lettuce salad with lemon & salt
fajitas with onions, bell peppers, beef (top sirloin), tomato, garlic and lemon,
guacamole and chips
handmade tortillas, flour and corn.
all topped w. Monterrey jack and sour cream

all the ingredients I found at carrefour and at jusco - as well as the local market. I didn't notice a difference as far as the ingredients themselves. The only thing i found hard to get was Cilantro for which the closest translation I could get was "green vegetable" Most expensive was the meat - top sirloin (expensive anywhere) though flank steak would have been fine - the cheese and sour cream - not Chinese but still found at any jusco or carrefour or wallmart .

Quote: ".... Mexicans prepare their food,where they live in the country,you
may think twice of eating too much of it,as it is not a diet food,and has other foods,eaten with them which is questionable,to anyones taste or preparation of content.Real Mexican food is an acquired taste."

I don't think that statement is quite true, The Chinese share a lot of the same ingredients Mexicans use in their cooking, even a lot of the same methods in cooking. It was specially interesting to note that "exotic" Chinese food to an American or westerner is not quite that exotic to a Mexican taste bud.

For example -

Chinese: Mexican:
Silkworm Agave worm / crickets
pigs feet pigs feet
tripe tripe
chicken hearts chicken hearts
turtle turtle
pig brain pig brain
chicken feet chicken feet
fish with eyes & head Same

Continued next post

Feb 11, 2008 12:13
  • SHIVAH
(continued from last post)

basically Mexican food evolved much like Chinese food - use all of the animal and do not waste food. Bones are used for soup stock, etc .

"...eaten with them which is questionable, to anyone’s taste or preparation of content. Real Mexican food is an acquired taste.) "

As far as preparation and taste is concerned that's a really unfair statement about mexican food. That same statement could be said about ANY food you eat. Taste is all in the mouth of the beholder. and BTW not all Mexican food is spicy, in fact, chili is mostly added for flavor not to make your mouth boil. Real Mexican food is a combination of the pre-colombian traditions of the past and a mix of European flare brought by the Spaniards and even the French.

a good example of this is Chiles en Nogada - which are stuffed Poblano peppers with a cream and walnut sauce stuffed with sweet ground beef/pork and pine nuts and raisins. pomegranate seeds are added on top as a tasty garnish . The dish represents the Mexican flag. the Recipe was invented by Puebla nuns long ago to celebrate Mexican Independence . Its a purely Mexican dish but Spaniard inspired.

so in conclusion - try Mexican food, if you're Chinese you're likely going to enjoy it.
Dec 12, 2008 23:35
GUESTPAUL Thank you for the great information Shiva on Mexican food ingredients. Not being from China, I found this very helpful. I'm visiting Guangzhou. My girlfriend who live here has never tried any thing Mexican or from latin American countries. Being a native Texan, I am very passionate about preparing an authentic Mexican meal in China for her to experiance the taste.

Thanks again!

Paul
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you ever taste taco?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code