Menu
Help with homework please.
Oct 19, 2007 00:34
  • DAVEC
This could turn into a regular thread each week as my Chinese culture and language lessons progress. I would appreciate any help and this week my homework consists of 2 questions.

1. If you are thinking of giving a gift to a Chinese colleague what should you think of first?

2. What numbers are thought of as unlucky?

I know the number 4 is unlucky and I know why but are their any more?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Oh, and as way of a thank you I will add one of my photos each week for you to look at.

Oct 19, 2007 01:06
  • KEVIN0518
No,2 Seven is also considered as unlucky. Especially when four and seven are together. In China, '4' and '7' have the similar pronunciation with 去死(go to die). BTW, your photo is quite beautiful.
Oct 19, 2007 01:07
  • APAULT
I would think whether it is a male and female.

I was told 14 is unlucky, which is maybe why the shop was so keent offer it to me.
Oct 19, 2007 01:50
GUEST15558 250 is unluky. If someone always do some crazy or stupid things,in china, we always say he or she is a 250
Oct 19, 2007 03:42
Davec, I think you mean a gift send from a foreigner to a Chinese colleague, right? Then, I would suggest you send some souvenirs from your country. For me, I once sent a Chinese knot to my American teacher. She likes it and thinks it represent China.
Oct 19, 2007 12:34
  • DAVEC
My teacher always gives me vague questions and I have to interpret what she means. I imagine it is think about who you are buying gift for, male or female,young or old,married or single... those sort of things although I could be completely wrong.
Oct 19, 2007 21:29
  • KEVIN0518
Dave, you could be right. To think about it comprehensively is not bad.
Apr 10, 2010 03:10
GUESTANDY I think the most important is that the gift must be elaborate, practical, and corrigible. It is not even worth much money. But it is of your sincerity.
Aug 22, 2010 17:00
GUESTBEST AV... You are mistaken. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
Aug 23, 2010 03:52
  • HERBEAT
Hmm.. for your fantastic photos, I'd like to give some advice. The lucky or unlucky numbers... it would depend on the region. You see different regions have different accent and culture background. Therefore the tradition and everything would be a bit different. For example in the north or the standard mandarin, 4 have almost the same pronounciation as "to die". So no doubt people in the north would consider 4 as an unlucky number. But in the south, 4 pronounced kind of like "fa", standards for to make a fortune or something like that. And especially lots of people in the south ran their own business. So they'd love to make a fortune, therefore 4 becomes a lucky number to them.
Aug 23, 2010 03:53
  • HERBEAT
Oh, just noticed that this thread was from 2007... a bit too late for the reply. But still, I don't see many posts here.. Anyway, Davec, what's the result of your homework? I'm sure you made it.. So maybe you could share the information with us?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Help with homework please.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code