Menu
Help: variety of buses
Oct 23, 2007 01:48
  • ELLEN77
In China, as to the size, there are three kinds: mini buses, medium buses, and big buses.
As to the distance, there are incity buses, and long-distance buses (can it be called 'coaches', and the station of them 'coach station'?).

I'm not sure if these expressions are correct, so could any one tell me what kinds of buses you have? and what exactly are the proper appellation of them?

Oct 23, 2007 06:21
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes, Ellen

The large buses, are usually called coaches and generally serve longer distances on more open roads with absolutely no standing passengers.

A 'city bus' is the large bus that has both seating and standing arrangements. Beijing, Shanghai and other large cities also have what is called and articulated bus which has more that one car and is joined with a covered, flexible hitching system (not sure how to explain that part)

Mini bus may also be called a commuter bus (15/25) and a small van in also called a 'people mover' (seas up to 9/10)

The others in between are still buses, perhaps just short wheel based buses. That is the distance between the axles is shorter than a regular size bus or coach.

And I'm sure we'll get some more accurate terminology from other members too
Oct 23, 2007 06:47
The articulated bus we call a " bendy bus " here in London, we use them to save time as passengers get on and off, some people call it a free bus because than can get away without paying.
Oct 23, 2007 07:58
  • GHOST
I don't believe our friends from the USA use the term 'coach' for a long-distance bus though. They just call them all buses. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, Ellen, we would say 'coach station' or 'bus station' is also acceptable.
Oct 23, 2007 23:55
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
In California, it seems that we just call the bus by its real name. Everybody knows whether it is an inner city bus or long distance bus. For example, in the bay area we call public transportation "Transit". Or "Muni" short for the "Municipal Railway" in SF. Some of the common names for buses that travel long distances is "Greyhound"

Danny
Oct 25, 2007 10:59
  • APAULT
Another point about long distance buses is that there are multiple bus stations in all cities and even in smaller towns. In some cases you have to go to a certaiun bus station for a given destination, in others they may run from more than one. It can prove quite difficult at times.
Oct 27, 2007 22:15
  • ELLEN77
Thanks for all your answers!
Yes Apault there are usually more than one long distance bus stations in one city. Some mainly for cross-provincial ones, and some mainly for city-county ones in a province and nearby provinces.
The major one is usually located near the railway station.

Post a Reply to: Help: variety of buses
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code