Menu
The Korean War
Nov 4, 2007 20:49
  • JIMMYB
The Korean War traumatized both the people of South Korea and DPRK. After that war, the estrangement of the two sides last for a long time. More tragically, the DPRK left far behind the South since the end of the War. What are the reasons for the booming economy of South Korea.? American Economic Assitance? The Poverty of North Korea is a complicatred issue that worths pondering.
Nov 4, 2007 20:56
  • LOVEISVERB
QUOTE: "Well, some holds the belief that It was definetly NOT the US who started the war, it was North Korea that invaded the South, the US intervened on large scale after a UN resolution had been passed.

Anyhow, due to the Korean War, Korean Peninsula was split off."

SO which came first? The Korean War OR the split of the Korean Peninsula?? :-)
Nov 5, 2007 14:46
  • CARLOS
When second world war was ending, Japanese were backing out from Korea. USA and Soviet Union made an agreemen which said that Japanese in northern part of Korea would surrender to Soviet and in southern part to USA. It was agreed that 38. lattitude vould be the line to divide parts.

United Nations suggested that in Korea should have an election 1947. Communists in northern part did not agree and so the election was held in southern part only. 15.Aug. 1948 after election Republic of Korea was declared. To answer that communists leaded by Kim Il Sung declared Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea 9. Sep. 1948.

25. June 1950 North Korean troops attacked over 38. lattitude. 27. June 1950 UN decided to support South Korea.

It always is popular to accuse USA for Korean war, but can blame Soviet Union, too. Althought Soviets were not personally involved, they supported Kim Il Sung giving North Korea weapons, air craft, tanks. Well, not giving, selling.

All that were involved to cold war, were to blame for the war that killed average estimated 200,000 South Korean, 300,000 North Korean, 40,000 US, few thousand other UN soldiers, and about 1,5 million civilians. Chinese voluntare soldiers were estimated 145,000 - 1,000,000.
Nov 5, 2007 15:14
GUEST27136 people in the south are always on alert. there are secret tunnels appearing each year between the north and south, where spies (esp from the North) go to the South. i visited an old spy's tunnel in the DMZ, but they are there are hundreds of other ones that haven't been discovered yet because Korea is covered in mountains. That's a scary thought. The one on showcase in the DMZ is huge. You wouldn't believe that people made such a big effort to penetrate their neighbour's land.

There's a lot of sad stories there. I met a girl in South Korea who escaped from the north. I think her husband got shot though as they were crossing the river into China. For now, it might be better for the Americans to stay there. Seoul is pretty darn close to North Korea.

Nov 5, 2007 19:26
  • LEONARDO
CARLOS ,

"It always is popular to accuse USA for Korean war, but can blame Soviet Union, too. Althought Soviets were not personally involved, they supported Kim Il Sung giving North Korea weapons, air craft, tanks. Well, not giving, selling."

I agree with you on this point. The Korean War was actuallly triggered by the Global Ambition of Both USA and USSR: both USA and USSR wanted to dominate the Korean Peninsula. In the Korean War, superficially, the war was fought between the North and the South. In essence, it was a war between two superpowers: USA and USSR. USA and USSR were two masterminds behind the War. USA supported the South, wheras USSA backed the North. The amunition and the weapons in the war were mostly provided by USSA and USSR. In the war, Soviet Union provided amunition, while China and North Korea provided manpower. China and North Korea were actually taken advantage of by the Soviet Union. South Korea was made the most of by USA. Imagine, if there were no support from the two superpowers, perhaps the civil war could not have been escalated to the large scale. The support from the two superpowers gave both the South and the North the false impression that they can win the war. Finally, both the South and the North suffered a great loss. The Korean War ended up with the split-off of the Korean Peninsula.
Nov 5, 2007 20:31
GUEST41212 If each country can mind their own business, there would probably be less wars.
If the leaders of countries are not that ambitiously selfish, there would also be less wars. These "leaders" get countries into war to meet their own agendas and are fought by risking other people lives/properties. To justify/camouflage their personal agendas, they usually come out with all sort of justification - and most of us believe.
I suggest that the leaders of the countries that intend to go to war, fight it out between themselves in a ring - better still with lethal weapons. There will probably be less wars then.
Nov 5, 2007 20:37
GUEST41212 No, the split of Korea was NOT due to the Korean War. It was split before then.
Nov 12, 2007 22:11
  • SUNNYDREAM
GUEST41212
Quote:
" No, the split of Korea was NOT due to the Korean War. It was split before then."

Well, partly you are right. Before the Korean War, the Japanese Army controlled the Korean Peninsula. The Koreans from the North and the South are not so isolated and hostile to each other, since they want to unite to fight against Japnese invaders. However, after the Korean War, the North and the South became quite hostile. The national identity has been split due to the war.
Nov 12, 2007 22:53
GUEST44103 This was wrongly posted. Now in its right post :-

Sunny, this is what I obtained from Wikipaedia :

After failing to strengthen their cause in the free elections held in South Korea during May 1950[15] and the refusal of South Korea to hold new elections per North Korean demands, the communist North Korean Army moved south on June 25, 1950 to attempt to reunite the Korean peninsula, which had been formally divided since 1948.
Unquote.
Nov 15, 2007 21:44
  • SUNNYDREAM
GUEST44103,

Thanks for your information. I understand what you mean. Probably, you didn't understand my words well. I know that it was UN Resolution that officially divided Korean Peninsula in 1948. However, before the Korean War, the average people of two sides still united in their minds and national identity. After the war, the situation worsened. The two sides became estranged.
Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The Korean War
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code