Menu
Why did you join this site?
Oct 25, 2007 21:47
  • CANADAGUY
Why did you join this site?

I am very grateful that you have and value your excellent contributions to the forums.

I'm curious to know what motivated the Chinese nationals to join this site and participate in the forum discussions.

It's much more obvious as to why the expats and foreigners visit this site and post to the forums.

Is it to practice your English, learn more about 'Westerners', ???

I know that I personally would not think of joining an equivalent local site; something say, like "Travel Canada Guide".

I'm just curious to hear what your reasons are. I'm sure they are quite varied.

Oct 28, 2007 22:38
  • LEONARDO
Hi Canadaguy,

Before answering your question, I suggest you answer your question first:" why did you join this site?"
I know you have mentioned "It's much more obvious as to why the expats and foreigners visit this site and post to the forums." I am still wondering what the specified reasons are. Asking for some information on China? Learn about Chinese culture? Exchaging ideas with Chinese nationals?

The answers for this question are quite obvious but varied. Well, we also share some common reasons with you expats. Exchanging thoughts with people having different ways of thinking. For some people here, it is a good way to practice their English. As for me, I am curious about how people lived in the other side of this planet think and behave. Personally, I think it is very interesting to understand different cultures. Globalization has shortened the distance between us and brought us closer to each other. Half a century ago, before the invention of Internet, the backward communication isolated us from each other. We couldn't know how people from the other side of this planet think and behave. We had a mysterious feeling towards the rest of the world. Today, the extensive application of Internet renders us the opportunity to interact with the rest of the world. This forum provides a platform for us to exchange thoughts.

Here in this forum, I eyewitnessed that we shared both common grounds and disagreements. We are different in ways of thinking. On some issues. we are so divided. Anyway, it is the diferences between us that created interests to understand different cultures. I still remember one friend named Dodger in this forum said:" we are trading ideas here"!

Regards,
Leonardo
Oct 29, 2007 00:17
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks for your reply Leonardo!

My joining this site was really quite simple.
I was searching for some information on China, as I have a Chinese girlfriend living there, and chanced upon this site while searching.

It seemed very interesting, especially since it had chat forums, and I felt I could learn more about China and issues of personal interest to me at this site.

I felt that I had access to an ‘inside source’ with much knowledge, willing to help out on almost any Chinese-related topic.

One reason why I asked my question is that there are literally thousands and thousands of websites around the world where you can chat in forums like the ones at this site, on virtually any subject you can imagine.

So if you wanted to exchange ideas with others who may have different thoughts, ideas, ‘western point of views’ etc. you could choose from a huge number forums.

Perhaps you chose this one because it allows you to do so, yet it still remains ‘close to home’ so to speak, and gives you a certain comfort level?
Oct 29, 2007 05:51
  • DODGER
Leonardo,
Your synopses on “why we are on this site “was well written IMO.
The internet has enabled us all to have a closer understanding of others without having to spend 20 years on a leaky boat traveling to some strange world.
We are all creatures of our own environment and cultural upbringing that perhaps can never be removed from our subconscious.
And we can all trade in ideas without having to raise our voices CG.
Dodger.
Oct 29, 2007 10:00
I'm the same as Canadaguy I chanced upon this site when doing my research on marraige requirements etc, I enjoy it so much now that I visit here for times than checking my own e-mails.
Dodger, I like the bit about the " leaky boat " not sure the Royal Navy would though.
Alan.
Oct 30, 2007 22:01
  • LEONARDO
CANADAGUY, DODGER, Alan,

Although the reason why I joined this site is a little bit different from you guys( you chanced upon this site since you felt in love with your Chinese sweethearts), It is reallly fun sharing thoughts with you here.

(Perhaps you chose this one because it allows you to do so, yet it still remains ‘close to home’ so to speak, and gives you a certain comfort level)
CANADAGUY, perhaps you are right. I really feel comfortable here. Haha!

Dodger, thanks for your nice compliment. I have enjoyed a lot through "trading in ideas" with you.

Alan, you have brought endless fun for me. I am anticipating your next interesting joke! I am doubting whether you are British, since you have an amazing sense of humor. LOL! Wow, I have just noticed that you changed your photo here. Very cool! Do you admire Chairman Mao very much?LOL!
Oct 31, 2007 04:46
  • DODGER
Leonardo,
I have to interject here.
Alan is not British; he’s English as I used to be.
The only down side is that he is from the West Country. They are a bit slow down there and speak strangely, but don’t hold that against him..ha.
But thank for your word.
I am just glad that forums like this exist so we can all trade in ideas and have fun doing it without doing any harm, and learning from each other.
Cheers, Dodger.
Oct 31, 2007 05:43
Hi leonardo.
Dodgers right, I'm mainly English with a bit of Welsh on my fathers side but we are British through and through.
Dodgers also right we do speak a bit funny and are very laid back in the way we do things much to the annoyance of my London friends, he he
And I'm glad you like my sense of humour and I enjoy sharing it with you all.
It would be a sad world if we couldn't have a laugh now and then.
Alan.
Oct 31, 2007 14:33
  • GRIZ326
I joined this site for information on China. I stuck around because the community is cordial and frequently insightful.
Oct 31, 2007 17:15
  • CANADAGUY
>>Alan is not British; he’s English as I used to be.

Aren't you chaps splitting hairs here just a bit?
I always thought that British people were comprised of the English, Scottish, and the Welsh.
Nov 1, 2007 02:18
You're right Canadaguy, but as Dodger will probably agree we have a certain rivalry going on, you also forgot the Northern Irish, I added the word northern because the republic of Ireland is seperate.
Alan.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why did you join this site?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code