Menu
'English Corner' in Sanya
Oct 29, 2007 22:42
This may be useful info to someone who wants to practice her/his English speakking skills while in Sanya:

I learned that there is an 'English Corner' meeting place in Sanya. Here, people with various english speaking skills get informally toghether to chat.

It's held every Wednesday evening at a bar/restaurant off Jiefang Lu, next to the intersection with and across from the KFC and the Gome electronics store and on the right side of the Everbright Bank building. If someone know the 'formal' addrerss, please post it here!

I went there a few times bringing with me several chinese youngsters we met during our extended stay in Sanya. I'm an 'ESL' person myself, and I dont think it's 'fair' to teach someone to speak english, but I did definitely help many local friends to improve their vocablary and speaking skills.

One can use this venue to meet people who are native english speakers, and who can teach or tutor proper grammar and pronounciation.

GM
Oct 30, 2007 01:38
  • APAULT
I can understand your desire to get native speakers, but in the meantime don't underestimate the bnefit you are having if you get people to use their English. This is the importamt first step. Then when people do have time with native speakers they are able to practice more productively.

Of course it is much better if students can learn correct speach along with their basic language skills, but that is rarely possible.
Oct 30, 2007 09:29
Apault,

I do agree with your comment. I'm sure you know, that there are may such 'English Corner' gatherings throughout the world. As I met many young people here in Sanya, who asked us to hlep them with their effort to learning english, I thought it will be beneficial to mention the existence and the location of such a place in here. People will get the benefit of both practicing at their present level, as well as making frineds and, perhaps, finding someone to help (teach) them (how to) improve their language skills.

By the way, I'm surprised (from your recent posting to this forum) that you had such a bland experince in Sanya! Year after year we keep finding the whole area fascinating and making rapid positive changes! If you ever come back, plase let us know and perhaps we will be able to change your mind!

GM

Nov 1, 2007 13:21
GUEST07114 My husband and I will be staying in Sanya during Christmas for 8 days. Any accommodations recommended? I am planning to rent a room from the locals. Any contacts you know? And how much it will cost us for a oceanview apartment?

Thanks.

Alfilee
Jan 2, 2008 02:54
An update: apparently Sanya english speaking people now meet on Friday nights instead of Wednesday. MV
Nov 15, 2008 05:58
GUEST18255 I'll be the too at Christmas - maybe our paths with cross!
Nov 15, 2008 20:28
  • WANHU
Most of the time when not travelling, Skype is my companion in practising and sharing English chats, especially with friends in China. I learnt English the hard way (never attended formal English classes), although I am not an English native speaker but neither I am ashamed of using my English. I understand their predicaments as well constraints, with our continuous efforts they are reaping what they sow, better English with better jobs.

Paul has been teaching and speaking English almost the whole of his life, and his words are indeed a note to ponder. We can start our own English corner, like what I did, and when the opportunity comes to meeting and conversing with native English speakers we won't stutter, stammer nor lost with words. When I was doing my viva, one of the senate members was with deep Scottish accent, that was the only problem for me to digest.

For this Christmas holiday, I will be in Shenzhen and Guangzhou for 10 days, and am looking forward to seeing friends, nieces and nephews.

Wan
Apr 6, 2009 03:30
The 'English Corner' meets now every Wednesday Night at 8:30 at the Yacht Club, just behind the E-Adry Resort and at the end of the bar street there.
MV
Apr 15, 2009 23:14
GUEST42109 Hello, got more specific directions please?

I recently moved to Sanya for work as well as 4 other ex-pats. We will love to meet some other expats and share ideas and thoughts. From good restaurants to the "traps". We are all young and outgoing professionals... So drop me an email if someone has any info or will like to meet/talk.

cox.net|jij

Cheers!
Apr 17, 2009 06:14
If you are in Sanya, it should not be too difficult to find the E-Adry resort, just before entering Dadonghai from Sanya 'downtown'. If you still have difficulties finding the place, I can call and help you when I return to Sanya this Sunday. If you want, than give me your phone number at my 'Message Box' on htis website. GM.
Apr 24, 2009 23:03
GUEST25107 Hello GM, I think I know were the resort is at. Passing RB2? Met an expat that has been there in the past. I believe that you might know him also. If I am not busy next wed I will be stopping by...

JJ
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 'English Corner' in Sanya
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code