Menu
Shopping in Beijing is expensive! What city is still cheap?
Nov 2, 2007 23:45
GUEST12231 the unoffical outlets are called knock-offs....of course they are much cheaper....
you pay for what you get...if it's cheaper then it's of lower quality...same everywhere
Nov 4, 2007 22:02
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Many international brands, that you are buying, the same piece of good, in anywhere of the world, are now manufactured or handmade in china, are you aware of that? I should very much appreciate if, especially anonymous people, could give information based on their personal experience, and give insightful opinions, no need to speak biased and generalizing about china , low quality…..
Dec 18, 2007 01:51
GUESTMIKE If you know the pricing those places are quite cheap. I never have to bargain, just say the correct price and if they don't like it, walk away slowly. They will accept the price.

Check out Ya Show (http://www.localnoodles.com/review/business_detail.aspx?businessid=1516). Address is there. Here is the pricing I pay which is reasonable.

T-shirts: 20-25RMB
Running Shoes: 50-80 RMB
Dress Shoes: 80-100 RMB
"timberland" boots: 120RMB
Belts: 20 RMB
Ties: 10 RMB
Custom Shirts: 80 RMB
Custom Suits: 600-800 RMB
Jeans: 80 RMB
Jackets: 100-150 RMB
Baby clothes: 20-40 RMB
Dec 18, 2007 20:08
  • SUSAN205060
We can't talk goods in one city are cheap or not.

The difference is that which street or shopping mall or market you are shopping. Also the what kind of quality goods you are looking for .

We just buy and experience the place within our capacity.

Enjoy!

Yours sincerely,
Susan Zheng
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060

Jan 7, 2008 11:31
GUEST23441 For most Western Tourist looking for cheap bargains, you may wish to try shopping in the US , the declining USD$ is one main contributing factor.

Shopping in China is no longer as affordable as it once was ; this is due in large to the increasing disposable income of their residents.

Most westerners buy stuff on credit and generally can't afford to spend very much anyway .
Jan 11, 2008 05:58
I m confused why so many complaints here.
So many foreigners come to China to buy cheap goods and actually they take back lots of them. I have accompanied many foreign friends to shopping in shanghai for clothes and so on. They think it's cheaper here.
So one can never judge it's cheap or not only by one shopping mall he tried.
In general, Made in China also means 'cheap' but the quality are not always bad. So many international brand name products are Made In China.
Jan 11, 2008 18:00
  • GRIZ326
"Made in China" doesn't automatically mean cheap. I have some carvings, baskets and paintings that are marvelous examples of quality. While Chinese wine doesn't suit my tastes, the bottles it comes in are spectacular. I give them away as souvenirs!

Paul, you are going to have to give me lessons in frugality. I do see the potential to spend very little money in China on a daily basis. ...but taking taxicabs every where runs up the bill very quickly and I am paying for my gal as well.

Perhaps my old frugality would return were I teaching English in China for 5000 RMB/month. :-)
Jan 12, 2008 10:46
  • APAULT
I really don't believe that Beijing prices are as high as some make out, though of course they are rising as incomes rise and the exchange rate changes. On average, I reckon to pay about 5 to 6 times as much for goods in Australia as in China. In the UK that rises to 10 (yes ten) times as much as China. And based on comments in posts here, most US tourists consider hotels and restaurants here very affordable, so I reckon there are still plenty of bargains to be had.

Jan 12, 2008 11:12
  • APAULT
Griz: I stay in 50 to 80 rmb hotels, they are a bit basic to say the least but generally clean and safe. 95% have an ensuite and have hot water. The rooms are often small, with a window facing into anothger building perhaps within touching distance... one place I was looking through the false ceiling of a whitegoods shop (pretty shop assistants I noticed).

I don't eat a lot and on my own rarely go into a real restaurant. Outdoor eating at places with tables is the norm. Fortunately beer is cheap in the small shops or my budget would be blown!. As China is a bit light on parks, I usually sup my ale sitting on a plastic stool outside the shop. Alternatively, worker 'restaurants' are a good place for a beer outside the eating times. Bars are evening places only and usually pricey and coffee shop prices are higher than Australia. I carry instant nescafe and sugar and buy milk as I go, there is usually hot drinking water in the hotels. A cold beer while you watch TV in the evening means exercise, you won't get a fridge until you are way up market, the normal clientele don't want cold drinks.

Taxis are not so important if you have time - time to work out where to get where you want, time to find the bus, time to get off and backtrack when you discover you are on the wrong one, and time to wander around rather than rush from one sight to the next. If you are travelling between cities, youn eed time to find the right bus station, to keep asking people the same question until you get the same answer at least 3 times, and then time to sit down and have a beer to cool off and mull over the fun you had solving the problem, time to observe people as you have a second beer and get into a two or three language conversation with some locals where none of you really know what the other is saying. Finally, you have to enjoy this type of travel - for if you don't you will remain a tourist, you will see all the sights but not see China and its people. (I enjoy it but I still don't really know why!) Buy a map as soon as you arrive in a new city, check out the maps at bus stops where they have them, and don't forget your compass, not only is it useful in the streets and so avoid rescuing yourself by getting a taxi, but the only way to navigate underground shopping centres where every shop looks the same.
Jan 12, 2008 13:17
  • JOHNFONTANA
You can find real cheap stuffs and services when you get deep into China.

I had my hair cut in Lanzhou for 5 yuan. Great service. The guy spent almost an hour doing a "Paris-cut", plus Paul Mitchell type of cream. This kind of cut in our SuperCut stores here will definitely cost me north of $50.

I did double the money for the tip as I feel a bit guilty, even after I quickly washed off my Paul Mitchell after getting back to the hotel.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Shopping in Beijing is expensive! What city is still cheap?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code