Menu
Bound feet--prerequisite for landing a husband
Nov 17, 2007 00:36
  • CHERYL
My over 80-year-old grandma told me that the binding of girls' feet in ancient China was maily to save the cloth of making the shoes. Do you believe?
Nov 18, 2007 22:03
  • LEONARDO
Quote:
"My over 80-year-old grandma told me that the binding of girls' feet in ancient China was maily to save the cloth of making the shoes."

Binding feet was mainly to save the cloth of making the shoes. Well, it might be true. However, I am just wonering why men's feet were not bound since most of men have bigger feet than women. If men's feet were bound, more cloths used for making shoes could be saved.
Nov 23, 2007 14:10
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I heard a very interesting thing about this practice, though of course, I do not know if it is true. They say that women’s feet were bound so that the feet will remain small. Having small feet means that the women won’t be able to run away from their family or husband since forced or arranged marriages were common in those days. They also have to walk slowly which would make them look daintier. Small feet also means that she is of noble birth because small feet means that she didn’t have to work.

I don’t have large feet myself. My shoe size is 5 or 5.5 sometimes. There is this shoes that I really wanted but couldn’t have since their smallest is size 6. But then, maybe that is large by Chinese standards. As for if other countries practiced foot binding, I am Asian too but I am not aware of any, maybe in some Chinese communities in other Asian countries?

This sounded like Chinese husbands-to-be had a foot fetish… which is kinda…. No wonder everyone was staring at my feet when I was wearing sandals in Beijing. LOL Maybe they were sizing me up. ^_^
Nov 24, 2007 15:22
GUESTDAVED I am not sure if the book is for sale in China...I somehow doubt it..but an American Chinese woman whose name is Jung Chang wrote a book called Wild Swans. It is about three generations of her family's women in China..Her Grandmother, her mother and herself. It deals with footbinding in some detail. Its a great book. For all ChinaPhiles this has to be the most informative book you could read. But don't tell them at customs that you have read it..:)
Nov 17, 2008 19:48
GUESTKRISTIN What about Islams veiling of women? The women weren't allowed to show any body part except for there face and hands, is that not just as cruel? Maybe is isn't as physically painful, but emotionally painful? I say yes.
Nov 17, 2008 19:51
GUESTKMOONBREH Do you honestly think that women would torture themselves the way they did to save cloth?
I don't think so. Men were intimidated by strong women, and found small feet sexually appealing. It was there perception of beauty. And women needed husbands, and husbands wanted women with little feet. Simple as that.
Nov 17, 2008 22:21
  • DODGER
My Wife’s grandmother, who had bound feet, told her when she was a child that she would never get a good husband because she had large feet.
If you read “Dragon Lady” by Sterling Seagrave, he has some interesting facts on the practice.
The unbinding of the feet was very much a part of sexual foreplay and sometimes the conclusion to it.
An unbound foot was supposed to resemble a lotus flower.
Dodger.
Dec 2, 2008 07:26
GUESTJACKSON... I find it very interesting to hear about feet binding. I am doing a school report on it and seeing some of the pictures and listening to the stories of how it possibly started is very capturing. Thank you for telling about feet binding because now I can share my knowledge with others.
Jul 7, 2009 05:15
GUESTPLACIDO Excuse me. The trick is to make sure you don't die waiting for prosperity to come.
I am from Marino and now teach English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: "However, if you are planning a trip away then don be put off this destination just yet."

With respect ;), Placido.
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Bound feet--prerequisite for landing a husband
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code