Menu
Bound feet--prerequisite for landing a husband
Nov 11, 2007 03:53
GUEST326 In old times, women perhaps felt proud of their tiny feet as much as present day women of their huge boobs. It's hard to judge jumping out of the time.

I am wondering, if the Manchurians really tried to ban footbinding, why we still see small feet old ladies occasionally in small villages, are they living tooooo long?
Nov 11, 2007 05:37
GUEST24215 Well said, Member Verb - "... we are all part of it". The most sensible comment so far - without offence to others. :)
Nov 11, 2007 08:35
  • LIONPOWER
I am feeling doubt about the explanation " Bound feet".

Bound feet means- obedient, loyal, polite etc??
Nov 12, 2007 20:28
  • SUNNYDREAM

Lionpower,

I also doubt about the explanation of ' bound feet". "Bound feet means- obedient, loyal, polite etc??"

The doctrine was a trap for women.
Nov 14, 2007 03:42
  • BBQQ
Quote:

"In old times, women perhaps felt proud of their tiny feet"

GUEST326
Are you kidding? Do you know how painful when their feet were fractured?

Nov 14, 2007 06:11
GUEST40122 Of cos it must be painful. But what is pain for the sake of beauty !
Nov 14, 2007 06:25
  • LOVEISVERB
Well, you might not give an appropriate judgement jumping out of the age, especially the footbinding practice has almost been disappeared for a hundred years.

We all know people choose to suffer a certain kind of pain for a reward, or they expect something good to happen to them more likely than before the change in their body, for example a good husband; a better job; confidence, etc. Cutting the body open the fill something in so that certain parts of the body become bigger makes women more beautiful (who knows). Imagine we are jumping back to 100 or 200 years back, what would people then think of such behavior? They might think 100 or 200 years later was such a horrible time. :-)

Nowadays, i think of nowhere in our body can't be redefined by cutting them open and either fill something in or take something out. Under the cover of the modern medical system, things that are more cruel just do not seem so.

I didn't say footbinding is good thing, or isn't cruel, it was bad and horrible. What I want to say is the society is developing to a new era that everybody thinks we have a better life than before(say 100years ago). But our standand of beauty is getting no higher or healthier than anytime. I'd venture to say, it's even worse.
Nov 14, 2007 17:17
GUEST92428 LoveIsVerb,
Your words are so profound and reflects your intelligence. Please write more.
Nov 15, 2007 05:15
  • DODGER
The Binding of girls feet as I understand it took place at about 5 year old. Performed on the young girl by her Mother and Aunts. The toes were bent back until they touched the heel of the foot. Slowly dislocating the bones of the foot. After a short time this could never be reversed.
What perhaps is more disturbing is that in some Middle Eastern countries the practice of Female circumcision is still practiced. Again performed by Woman upon young girls.
I do not need to go into details.
And yet the Woman’s liberation movement remains quite on this.
This is IMO a disgusting practice.
Both practices initiated by men who wanted complete control?
Dodger.
Nov 15, 2007 05:48
I would hate the thought young girls was put through this for the sake of man, it's wrong and it's cruel, thankfully it's not so common these days.
Alan.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Bound feet--prerequisite for landing a husband
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code