Menu
Why are some guys cheap?
Nov 5, 2007 10:46
guest27136 Hi. I want to ask this community a question about a guy i'm seeing.

He's generous with his time and likes to meet me, and calls me regularly. But when it comes to money, he's cheap with me. The most he's ever done is buy me half of a dinner. We shared one bento box (half and half). Then the same day he asked me to go see a movie. I don't have any income right now, so I asked him to pay for my movie. Ended up, he paid for half of my movie and said to me, "I'm subsidizing you."

What do you think? I like him but his spending manner gives me a different message. From his talking, he seems to like me a lot, and he's generous with his time. For example, if I want some company for a walk around town, he'll come with me. But now he wants me to be his girlfriend and I can't say yes if the guy won't even buy me a dinner. And if I have to TELL him that... (he's 34 years old) -- isn't that ridiculous?

Is it possible to give someone a lot of love, but not much money?? Can a guy use that as an explanation for his behavior? What do you think?
Nov 5, 2007 20:23
GUEST41212 The intention is obvious - he wants a free you and what you can give him to meet his desire. He wants you as a gal companion only - not a friend with more committed intention. Are you prepared ? If not, be aware. There are many such guys around.
Maybe I am too assuming - but he is local ?
Nov 5, 2007 21:33
GUEST79176 No, he's a Singaporean guy. and i'm in the states. man, i have been having bad luck. the worst is when they are nice in every other way but they are cheap with money. It's kind of a catch-22. If I tell him that, then I sound materialistic. And it's very uncomfortable to have to tell a guy you're dating, "You're cheap." But I can't hide my opinion from him. You know what, I think he's going to ask me to be his girlfriend. (Can you believe it?) It's hard to believe such low standards some guys have. I don't know if this is a characteristic of Singaporean men... heard that some of them are pretty chauvinist... but i hope it's not true.
Nov 5, 2007 23:36
  • JCNILE123
Maybe he is penniless, maybe he does not love you, or maybe all he wants is a good-looking green card.
Nov 6, 2007 00:03
GUEST41212 But do you gals from the States expect your men to pay for you on your dates ? Generally in our country, we don't - we go Dutch. I don't think our gals feel losing out if we our men want us & go Dutch. Like our men, we girls also want them and for free, if possible. If not, it is to each his/her own share. Are we all cheap, too ?
Nov 6, 2007 03:41
  • DODGER
I have never found a cheap Girl. Perhaps I have looked in the wrong places.
This may be a case of us not given enough value on our self’s as people.
Nothing in the World is for free, not love in any form or any other type of relationship. Relationships must be on a “win win bases” for all.
This is nothing about your BF being from Singapore or any were, it is about how you expect to be treated as a Woman. With dignitary I hope.
What do you want?
Dodger.
Nov 6, 2007 07:38
  • JCNILE123
Dodger, great input
Adding only, how he desires has to tread her.
Nov 6, 2007 08:38
GUEST31253 I just want to be treated with dignity and I think we all do... :-) To tell you the truth, i'm not a capitalistic sort. But i do look at what someone is willing to give. It's their intention that shows their generosity. If they don't reach a little beyond their comfort level to make me happy, then i don't think they love me all that much. We have been going dutch all this time, pretty much. But i'm not that comfortable with dating / marrying someone who isn't chivalrous enough to buy me a couple of dinners. I guess it's the western custom... i guess i still like westerners more... because they have more respect for women IMO
Nov 6, 2007 22:16
GUEST41102 I think it is quite obvious that u prefer western men - you want everything in your favour. But beware of trapfalls of sweet talkers - not all appear as they are.
I prefer someone who is honest with me right from the start & not just expecting to receive. As a gal, u need to give too - not necessarily just your body. I give & take. Hehehe !
Nov 6, 2007 22:56
GUEST31253 i dated both Asian guys and Western guys before. sorry to say this, but i find that Western guys are more mature.
Nov 6, 2007 23:20
GUEST41102 There is nothing sad about this, I thibk. I wonder why u feel so embarassed to say it if you feel that way ? But what is puzzling is why are you still dating Asian men ? U haven't learnt your lessons then . Sad for you.
I have been dating both Western( 8 in 4 yrs) & Chinese(7 during same period) men too. And I can tell you, chauvinistic Chinese men may be, they are there for you and have genuine intention to settle down with me and are more forthright. On the other hand, those western men appeared to just want my body - for free - and will put on a show just to achieve this target. And they are f..ing stingy too ( except for the 1st couple of occasions).
But to me this is a fact of life. I just dont date them anymore.
So, if this is what you have concluded about men, what are you trying to share with us by starting this thread ?
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why are some guys cheap?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code