Menu
L Visa to Z Visa and Extending L Visa
Nov 9, 2007 12:29
Hi all,

I have been reading this forum like mad the past couple days trying to do as much research as I can. Basically I am trying to relocate to China by the end of 2008 so yeah I have lots of time but preparation is key so I am using the time in between to do as much preparation and research necessary.

Well onto my visa questions...

1) Lets say I get a L-visa and decide to go to China to look for work. I know I cannot work on a L-visa but what about "looking" for work?

2) The last time I went to China was last month on a 60 day visa but I only stayed about 3 weeks since I had to come back and work. If I go on a L-visa and cannot find work within the given visa expiry date how hard is it to renew my visa for another 60 or 90 days? I am Canadian by the way.

3) What is the longest duration you can get on a L-visa and how many renewals can you get inland?

4) It is my understanding that when your visa in China expires one trick is just to go to HK wait a couple days and get a new visa as a way to "extend" your stay...am I correct in this method?

5) I understand companies now cannot convert L-visa to Z-visa inland. So if a company decides to give me a Z-visa do I need to go back to Canada or can I somehow get a Z-visa in HK?

6) If a company decides not to extend your work contract hence your Z-visa expires I understand you will get a L-visa so can I just go to HK and apply for a 60-90 day visa after that L-visa expires? Basically I am just looking to extend my time there without having to travel back to Canada?

7) Can anyone share with me their method of staying in China for an extended period of time legally on visas may it be for travel purposes or working? Basically a way to "live" in China on visas.

BIG thanks to anyone who can answer some or all of my questions! You don't know how much I appreciated it!!!
Nov 10, 2007 05:40
  • APAULT
Whew!

Ok, from the top...

1. In theory you cannot look for work on an L visa, but in practice it's no problem. This 'rule' is the logical basis for not allowing a person on an L visa to obtain a Z visa on the mainland.

2. Three approaches. One is to apply for an extension on the mainland. In my experience that is for a maximum of 1 month (anyone able to say otherwie?). The second is to apply for a dual or multiple entry visa and exit at the nearest border and re-enter (immediately if you want to). Third, exit and apply for a new visa which will normally be granted. I recommend the multiple entry unless you are interested in seeing some other place such as HK. I also suggest using a Chinese run travel agent to apply for the visa and ask them to get the longest visa they can.

3. I believe 3 months is the longest L visa unless you are a spouse of someone who has a longer visa or is a national. I believe the rule is one renewal of 1 month, but they will give a one week visa if you apply again...enough to clear up and clear out.

4. Yes, you can go to HK, no need to stay a couple of days. You can get a visa in half a day if you are prepared to pay the fee...cheaper than staying in HK (but US passport holders must pay higher fees). Or go to Macau which is cheaper and pay a travel agent.

5. It seems impossible to get a Z visa on the mainland... my employer thought they were going to be able to just 2 weeks ago but failed and I had to go to HK. You can get the Z visa in HK, no problem, if you have the right paperwork.

6. You are right - when the Z expires you can get a one month L visa. I believe you can transfer the Z (actually, your residence permit) if you arrange a new job before the contract and residency expires AND the two employers are well enough organised (!!) Otherwise off to HK.

7. Get an F visa as a foreign employed person, or start a business here.

See also a new thread on visa anomalies.
Nov 11, 2007 10:04
Thanks Apault!

I have no problem going to HK. I actually have family there so at least I don't need to worry about boarding costs if I actually have to end up staying a night or two.

A few more questions which I though I will post here and might help others looking for answers. Anybody who has experience please feel free to answer!

I know that you can go to HK and apply for a F-visa. I heard the rules there are less strict. Is it true that you don't need a business invitation. I really don't want to do anything illegal. Is it a better idea to go to a PRC in HK to process this visa or a travel agent?

Have you heard of emoo? I read on their website that they will convert a L-visa to a 6 month or 1 year multiple entry F-visa without a business invitation. Are they legitimate? Like I said I don't want to do anything illegal.

As far as the business invitation goes. I have relatives in China who run their own business but I am not sure if there needs to be any qualifications to be able to issue an invitation? Also, their business is not in the same city or province for that matter that I wish to travel to. Will this be a problem because I know you must register your residence with the police?

Your answer to number 7 is really interesting Apault! If I start a business can I get a F-visa outside of China before coming or do you mean I come in with a L-visa and start a business? Also, is there a level of investment you need for them to approve you a F-visa if you are coming with the intent of starting a business? Any more info you can give in regards to that area would be great! Other posters are welcome to answer also.

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2007 08:28
  • APAULT
You must have an invitation to get an F visa, but that is not too difficult. Organisations (like emoo perhaps... I don't know them but they have been around a while) have contacts who will write them. I would think your family businesses could also do that for you. Is it legal...maybe, maybe not! But nothing in China is black and white (NO - I am wrong - Taiwan IS part of the PRC!) and I wouldn't be too concerned.

I don't know much about the rules for starting a business but you really do need to do it with a local... you have family so that is fine.... tho you prob need one in the locality the business will be in. You will need to travel to be able to set up the business..so no problem with reg with police.
Nov 12, 2007 09:13
  • JABAROOTOO
Just posted this in another thread.

In Hongkong
I have been offered an F visa without an invitation. In fact they assumed this is what I wanted until I explained that I needed a Z visa.

A friend has just returned from HK with a six month F visa and they were not interested in seeing his business invitation.

So just go get one and come back. Easy if you've got digs to stay at down there.

It is still possible to convert L to Z visa's but there are so many uncertainties that it is often not worth it unless your employer has the right connections and it probably costs extra too.
Nov 12, 2007 13:26
Thanks Apault and Jabar!

Yeah Apault that is what I figured. I am Chinese so I know having the right "contacts" and doing "favours" means everything in our culture lol. I emailed emoo and they said they can convert it but I want to make sure I don't need a business invitation. They should reply me tomorrow. Do you know of any other Visa agents that do this and are hopefully "non-shady"? I really don't want to do anything illegal. Unfortunately my uncle's business is not in the province I want to relocate in but who says you can't expand :-D?

Jarbar can I ask which service you or your friend used in HK for the F visa? Did you two go to an agent or the embassy? Also, I know even though they did not care to see your invitation did you and your friend have a business invitation?

Thanks guys you have been great help with your answers!! Cheers!
Nov 15, 2007 12:09
  • APAULT
Don't worry about doing things a bit 'shady' if others are doing it. It is the way things are done.
Nov 15, 2007 22:46
GUESTKUNGFUC... actually what you need is a residence permit not a z visa. the z visa is only good for a month so that you can get a residence permit. Most schools with a decent amount of guanxi can get your f visa transfered to a residence permit. If they have a lot of conections maybe from an L visa to an rp
Nov 16, 2007 04:55
  • APAULT
I do not believe there is any way u can get a residence permit if you have an L visa, the regulations just don't permit it. Conevrt an F visa to residence... I also doubt it, but perhaps it might just be possible. Guestkun, do you know anyone who has done either of these?? Even if so, the average employer will NOT be able to do this.

You cannot convert visas. You get a new one. You can convert a Z visa to a residence permit, which is exactly like a visa except it says residence permit (!!), and is intended to be converted... or get out.
May 30, 2008 07:53
GUEST15254 Thanks for the info :-) What place and what area did your friend get his visa ...Im currently on a F without an offical letter wanting to renew and get back to my home and Chinese wife of 3yrs ....I heard its takings a week to get things sorted I hope thats just B.S. oh Im a British passport holder...David
Jul 30, 2008 22:55
GUESTASHISH Hi,

I have tourist visa for one month to china, how it will be extended and whats the procedure,please help with the information,

Thanks...Ashish
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: L Visa to Z Visa and Extending L Visa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code