Menu
What nice in Harbin?
Nov 14, 2007 08:32
  • FELICE821
I considering to visit Harbin ourself and not follow tour. So, can you guys please suggest me that which are the place, event and things that must do and visit which cannot miss.
Nov 14, 2007 21:07
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi.

I don't think you need to do a "tour" of Harbin, you've made a great choice to do it yourself. Most of the great places are within walking distance from the "Daoliqu|道里区" area NorthWest of the train station.

I would recommend my favourite place which is the snow sculpture exhibition at Sun Island Park (taiyangdao gongyuan|太阳到公园). You can reach this by walking, dog-sled, horse and cart and cable car over the river.

There are also temple complexes worth a visit, and ice sculpture exhibitions that Harbin is famous for and aren't to be missed.

I advise you to check out the travel reviews under Harbin. Mine gives advice on some of the places I've mentioned and ILOVEHARBIN did a great overall review too. Use the link below:

http://community.travelchinaguide.com/traveltour/harbin/

Have a great trip and remember it's going to be VERY cold.
Nov 14, 2007 21:22
  • LOVEISVERB
The Central Street shouldn't be missed, it's beautiful, full of Russian architectures, western restaur ants(mostly Russian), bars and big shopping malls (like Crawford). You will see lots of young people hang around. It's easier to find souvenirs for friends and families.

Taiyangdao Park wasn't so nice for me, but the boat ride across the Songhua River was good. It's hard to find a proper place to eat at that little island. There are various kinds of shows by Chinese or Russians on the island, but the entrance fee is way too high.

Visiting Harbin in winter is great, you will see lots of ice sculptures, it's worthwhile to bear the extreme coldness.

Have fun.
Nov 14, 2007 21:48
  • ELLEN77
Yes, the Central Street area is really worth visiting, and also Songhua River and Sun Island. The Sophia Church and Ha Yi Bai Shopping Mall not far from the Central Street are aslo worth seeing. And if you come there in the right time of winter (I don't remember clearly) you can see the ice sculptures festival that is held in the Zhaolin Park, which is also near the street. The Ice and Snow World is also a wonderful place for skating and seeing the ice sculptures and ice lights.
Nov 15, 2007 00:28
  • ELLYSE
Have plenty of tips on my VirtualTourist Harbin travel page: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f8323/
Nov 19, 2007 13:50
  • FELICE821
After reading thru the Travel Page, i found that ice lantern and snow sculpture is something that cannot missed.

AS i read thru, there are 2 places where the ice lantern festival take place. One at Zhaolin Park and one is across the river. So which 1 is worth to go?
Nov 19, 2007 14:04
  • ELLYSE
You sound a little confused.
The ice sculptures are at Zhaolin Park. The snow sculptures are across the river, on Sun Island (Taiyang Dao).
Nov 19, 2007 18:03
  • FELICE821
But as i read the forum, they claim that the Zaolin Park is smaller... and the 1 across the river for ice lantern is bigger.
Nov 19, 2007 22:02
  • ELLYSE
That might be talking about another one which apparently combines both ice and snow sculptures. I think that one isn't held every year, only in selected years. I haven't seen that one.
Nov 20, 2007 14:29
  • FELICE821
Thanks Ellyse. But i had a doubt. As i came from tropica country which do not have winter and is hot for 365days a year.

And to buy winter cloth and apparels at our country is expensive. Do you think that i can just bring along my winter jacket and sweater, when arrive at Harbin.. only i shop for thermal, winter shoe and other apparel?
Nov 20, 2007 21:30
  • ELLYSE
Without long johns you'll freeze as soon as you reach Harbin.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What nice in Harbin?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code