Menu
Do the enterprises discriminate against the mewly married women
Nov 18, 2007 01:15
  • GURTY
It is reported that many enterprises in China discriminate against the newly married women when they recruit new employees. They are afaid that the newly-married women will have a baby in one or two years, causing a loss in their business. Is it the same in foreign countries? How do the foreign enterprises handle such matters?
Nov 18, 2007 11:26
  • GRIZ326
In my company, women are given an extended leave of absence. This policy is very costly in terms of hiring and training a temporary replacement.
Nov 21, 2007 02:34
  • KEVIN0518
Griz, the law in China says that women have the right to enjoy their maternity leave. However, some enterprises or companies sign a contract with their female employee. It requires that they should not be pregnant for a certain period, for example, 2 years. Otherwise, they will lose their jobs. Many female employees have no other ways but accept this unfair contract. Very sad.
Nov 21, 2007 04:34
  • DODGER
Kevin,
this is sad news but it is expencive to give leave for Mothers.
It is costly to hire short term replacements for small businesses.
Dodger
Nov 21, 2007 06:49
I can understand why companies have this rule regarding the women but it is very unfair, once they have had 1 child do they have to qualify again before they can get pregnant again?
Even the men can get paternity leave now over here now.
Alan
Nov 22, 2007 03:40
  • KEVIN0518
Dodger, it is indeed expensive to give leave for Mothers. If they were on their maternity leave, they will be absent at least for three months. How can the company tolerate this loss? During their maternity, the company need to pay salary to mothers according to the law. Of course, they wouln't like to do so.
Nov 24, 2007 09:10
  • APAULT
Yes it is unfair. It is also unfair that in the west that when women return after a year or so and are out of touch with the latest technology and business issues they expect to come back still at the level of the men who have worked right through.

No, I am not against women's rights in this area, it is just that in the west it is now all in favour of women. When i was a teacher in the UK we used to do the classes of teachers who were away. I got well and truly pissed off with covering for women teachers who had to stay home because they had a sick child. There is a point where a woman has to choose between career and family and not expect others to sort out the difficulties if they want to do both. Oh, I am being politically incorrect! Tough t....s!!!
Nov 25, 2007 21:48
  • ICEBERG
Quote: There is a point where a woman has to choose between career and family and not expect others to sort out the difficulties if they want to do both.

Personally, I think that modern women are more independent. You can not let your wife stay at home, take care of your child, do cooking and housework beause they do not want to be house-wives. Perhaps, that attributes to Women's emancipation. I admit that it is very hard to balance your work and family as a woman. Take a look at present situation in China and you will see it clearly. Those young couples leave their children to their parents and let them take care. Why? They both have to work and make their livings. Unless you marry a very rich man who can offer everything you want. Otherwise you have to work to earn your living.
Dec 4, 2007 11:08
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I totally agree, Iceberg. If a man wants his wife to stay home to take care of the house and the kids, he'd better be a rich man. Otherwise, how can he afford to give his family a comfortable life? On the other hand, a good man is a man who can see the bigger picture, that sometimes to have a comfortable life, both of you has to work. Somethings gotta give. ^_^
Dec 4, 2007 20:40
  • BBQQ
Quote: If a man wants his wife to stay home to take care of the house and the kids, he'd better be a rich man. Otherwise, how can he afford to give his family a comfortable life?

Is that the reason why so many female graduates from colleges try to find a rich husband? Have you ever heard of this sentence? It is better to find a good husband than to find a good job. Here 'a good husband' means that a rich man.
Post a Reply to: Do the enterprises discriminate against the mewly married women
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code