Menu
Is it possible to be friends with your GF/BF if you two break up?
Dec 4, 2007 21:22
  • JIMMYB
Recently, I read an interesting article (a prose to be exactly). It says that it is impossible to be friends with your GF/BF if you two break up. The reason is simple: you and she or he will feel quite uneasy and embarrassed if you meet each other on occasions. When I told this to my friends. Most of them agree on what the article said. The best solution is: you two never contact each other and be strangers. What do you think? Is it possible to be friends with your GF/BF if you two break up?
Dec 5, 2007 00:25
  • CANADAGUY
No doubt it would be quite difficult for most people.

However if we take the question a step further and instead of GF/BF replace them with husband/wife,
we might be able to find the answer.

While many divorcees remain hostile towards their former spouses I have heard of many cases where the two get along fine when they meet.
Some even can consider each other friends.

No doubt though this can be a very delicate subject for couples.

Dec 5, 2007 01:32
  • DAVEC
I only speak to 1 of my ex girlfriends and that very rarely. Maybe its because the others were unfaithful and I feel hate towards them.
I think its very difficult to remain friends, imagine how you feel when you see her and another man has his arms around her and kisses her. Even though you are not together there would still be some feelings.
Dec 5, 2007 01:55
  • JCNILE123
He, he, funny!
Dec 5, 2007 02:10
I don't think I have any problems with my ex GF's or my ex-wife, I not the kind of person that holds a grudge and I don't think any of my ex's do either, I always treated them well, so we have no reason not to get on.
Alan.
Dec 5, 2007 02:59
  • DODGER
I once had and old GF invite all of my other old GF’s to my birthday party without me knowing.
It turned into an interesting night!
Can we all be friends? If the break up is amicable,
Dodger
Dec 5, 2007 06:07
I had one who told my ex-wife that she used to go out with me, thankfully she didn't go into too much detail, he he
My ex told me all about it and great pleasure laughing at me blushing.
Alan.
Dec 5, 2007 10:17
  • LIONPOWER
The best solution is: you two never contact each other and be strangers.
Dec 5, 2007 11:43
  • GRIZ326
I'm about 50:50, but only one is what I consider a dear friend.
Dec 5, 2007 20:36
  • CHYNAGYRL
if there was real feeling in the past, then i find it difficult to be friends. i haven't stayed friends with my past partners. my opinion is that it's not easy for men and women to be merely friends, especially the longer the time of acquaintance, deeper the affection. it's only natural that friendship grows into love or else ... into nothing.
Dec 5, 2007 20:57
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Yes, it is quite possible to be friends even after the break-up. It depends on your relationship when you two were together and how you two broke up. I personally know people who remained friends even after breaking up as bf/gf or even after a divorce. I even know two families who gather together every Christmas and Thanksgiving wherein both the ex-wife and ex-husband are already married to other people. ^_^

Open-mindedness and acceptance plays a big part in it. Of course, it is almost impossible to be friends (at least not right away) if one partner has been unfaithful and has caused a lot of pain to the other party. Time also plays a part in this. Once healed and there is no more pain and both sides have moved on, it is easier to be civil to each other.

Personally, I wouldn’t have any problems being friends with my ex’s (not even with the one who started having a relationship with another woman behind my back), if only they would stop asking about getting back together. Problem is, once I start being friendly, they start asking to get back together. -_-
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is it possible to be friends with your GF/BF if you two break up?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code