Menu
Renting an Apartment in China
Dec 11, 2007 21:04
  • MOONDOLLARS
Does anyone know if it's really easy to rent a house in China or not? Where do we go to find these apartments? They are not usually advertised like they are in the U.S., which is practically everywhere and almost always trustworthy. I'm scared I'll be scammed or something. I speak Chinese, but my parents are from Taiwan; so, you can hear my ABC + Taiwanese Chinese accent, haha. Any info is helpful - thanks!

- moondollars
faithvine.com
Dec 12, 2007 02:11
  • TOMSPENCER
If you can read Chinese, too, then there area plenty of websites that offer apartments. Plus, the streets are teeming with agents who'll happily show houses to you.

Embassies and Consulates normally recommend that foreigners use one of the major international relocators because these always check the legality of ownership and always quote prices that you will actually end up paying. Local agents have a habit of quoting base prices and conveniently forget to add things like management fee or tax invoice.

Be aware that the most an agent can charge you under Chinese law is half of one month's rent. Sub-lets are plentiful, but they're also illegal. Reputable agents won't touch a sub-let and reports abound of unsuspecting tenants being turfed out onto the street as a result of a sub-let gone bad.

There are different relocators working in different areas of China. The biggest and longest established is DTZ. They have offices all over China, so can probably help you wherever you are going.
Dec 12, 2007 02:26
  • GHOST
Hi Moondollar

Are you actually thinking of coming over to China or are you just curious about the situation here?

If seriously looking, what part of China are you considering? Prices vary greatly.
Post a Reply to: Renting an Apartment in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code