Menu
How to reach the great wall from Beijing
Apr 6, 2004 21:16
  • RONNIE
Hello,

I wonder how to reach the great wall from the center of Beijing. Are there any buses or do i have to book a trip by an office.

Does anyone know a silent part of the wall which can be reached from Beijing in a one-day-trip?

Thanx
Apr 7, 2004 09:00
  • ANGEL
I recommend both Badaling and Mutianyu sections to you. Both can be reach by bus. Mutianyu is a more silent and elegant one with few tourists. Badaling is a heaveily tracked one but with better tourist equipment. Both have cable cars.

For Badaling:

Admission Fee: 40
Opening Hours: 06:40 to 18:30
Recommended Time for a Visit: Two and a half hours
Bus Route: 919
Tourist Bus Route: Take No. 1 at Front Gate
Take No. 2 at Beijing Railway Station
Take Lateral No. 2 at the west gate of Beijing History Museum
Take No. 3 at East Bridge
Take No. 4 at Xizhi Gate or Beijing Zoo

For Mutianyu:

You can take a No. 6 Tourist Bus at the following stops and get to the Mutianyu Scenic Spot.

Stop Location Departure Time
Xuan Wu Men Northeast corner at Xuan Wu Men Crossroad 6: 30-10: 30
Dong Si Shi Tiao The north-west entrance of the subway 6: 30-9: 00
An Ding Men the south-west entrance of the subway 6: 30-9: 00

Apr 7, 2004 17:49
  • JONNYB
If there are a few of you then hiring a car is probably a good bet. I have a friend in Beijing (Helen) who can help if you wish. She can be contacted on yahoo.com.cn|life_helen. Jon
Apr 15, 2004 22:53
  • ISABELLE
Hi,
We're coming to Beijing in a couple of weeks time and thinking of going to see the Mutianyu section of the wall.
If we take the bus from the city centre, how long will the journey take? How regular are the buses and what about coming back? What is the time of the last bus from Mutianyu? We will be bringing 2 kids with us aged 3 and 6. Would that be a problem? What about the weather at this time of year? Will it be cold on the wall?
Thanks for your replies
Isabelle
Apr 16, 2004 09:27
  • ANGEL
It took us around 3 hours to get to Mutianyu by bus from downtown (under normal traffic condition). Although the city has built many roads, the traffic is not very satisfying. Do prepare for a early start to avoid the terrible traffic jam in peaks.

You can take a No. 6 Tourist Bus at the following stops and get to the Mutianyu Scenic Spot.
Stop Location Departure Time

And No. 919 also reach it.

Better to get on your reture bus before 16:00.

Usually bringing kids is not a problem. I met a couple with five kids aging from 2 to 11 when I was on the Mutianyu section last nov. However, try to avoid the crowds in the peak season from May 1 to May 7. One tip for you: at the starting point of the steps on the wall, the section on your left is more falt while the right physically demanding. Wear comfortabel shoes.

I am not sure about the temperature but the average in Bejing's May is 3 C to 11 C. It is windy on top of the wall. Bring wind-proof clothes.

Another tip also from my own experience is that the dining is a little problem. Although several small restaurant, but the food can not be very delicious.
Apr 16, 2004 17:09
  • YAZOO
About the weather : actually now it is around 25-30 degrees celcius in Beijing, so I don't think you will be cold ;-)
Apr 16, 2004 23:02
  • ISABELLE
My thanks to Angel and Yazoo for their replies.
May 24, 2004 21:51
  • NIKONCMK
im reading the "lets go China" book. They have great instructions and descriptions of reaching various parts of the wall. Im very intereested in going to Simatai. To get to this part of the wall, LGC instructs:

Special bus #60 (Y60) departs from Xuanwumen church on weekends 7-8am returns 4pm

Jinghua Youth Hostel runs tours every other day departs 8:30am returns 2:30pm (Y60)

Chartered miandi taxi Y360

but Stella's post on spending a night at the wall at Gubao Villa sound interesting too.
Apr 15, 2010 10:42
  • MICHELE_MAND

Here is our recent experience about it (April 2010), from Beijing to Mutianyu section of the G.W.
You can go there by bus or train, we decided for the latter and took the 9.04 train leaving from Beijing North station to Huairou, which has its own station in the nearby Huairou North. Departures are at different times, we took the one at 9.04am. Trip was very slow indeed, we got at Huairou North by 10.30, to find out the place is quite deserted, and with lots of private drivers to get you to Huairou, or Mutianyu directly. Being all there and well organized, prices are all the same, they do not even fight to get the clients... They ask RMB 50 each to go to Huiarou, or 100 to Mutianyu, claiming thay Hairou is 25 km from there. It is actually abt 5 km, you can bargain to 40 minimum. We were 2, so had to pay 100 RMB to get to Mutianyu. The lady who took us was kind indeed, and drove a Chinese sedan very smooth and clean, 20 minutes and we for there. In Mutianyu you can climb the stairs to the Wall (around 20 minutes at average pace), or pay for the cable to wire you up there. For the way down we decided to go on the funny side and took the toboga slide, a 3 minutes bob-sledge descent at RMB 50.
Way back: a lady of a food stand offered to brings us back to Huairou for RMB 60, and left us at the bus stop of bus 916. There are 3 bus #ed 916, you have to take the one with a green plate saying Kuaisu, or Gaosu I do not recall now, meaning it gets to Beijing Dongzhimen station of line 2. You can ask the driver, usually they understand you want to get to Dongzhimen as a foreigner so they nod or shake their head to you. Price is quite cheap, RMB 7 for all the way to Bj, about one hour, most of it is spent at ridiculous slow speed on the highway.
I would recommend to take the bus from BJ Dongzhimen bus station to get to Huairou and then grab a cab or a private car from there to the Wall.
Jun 23, 2014 10:15
GUESTSRINATH Hi

I am in bejing and was going tru the requests i wanted details as below

And No. 919 also reach it.

ARE THE ABOVE SUBWAY STATIONS? , IF YES THEN WHICH LINE ARE THESE

Jun 23, 2014 20:09
GUEST7832
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTSRINATH View Post

Hi

I am in bejing and was going tru the requests i wanted details as below

[hua...

Yes, the subway line 2 just stops at these three stations.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to reach the great wall from Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code