Menu
Can love melt away cultural differences?
Dec 23, 2007 21:09
  • ICEBLUE
NICHOLAS,

I understand your good intention. However, is difference a good thing or a bad thing? It is difference that very often generates conflicts and frictions, even worse leads to the breakup of marriage and family. Understanding of each other won't be an easy task.
Dec 23, 2007 23:59
  • NICHOLAS
For me, where I differ from my partner ultimately makes 'us' better people when we are together. She has the strengths I don't and offers a different perspective on things. We have many similar views we just express them differently. It's as if to say because you call it '马' and I call it 'horse' we are different.... I believe some things are universal. Love, hate, greed, jealousy, companionship, family and friendship all belong to humanity. Our society just teaches us if it is 马 or horse.

Does that make sense? or am I a dreamer?
Dec 24, 2007 08:56
  • JCNILE123
Yes, long as you do not have a hardheaded know it all for spouse.
Dec 25, 2007 19:49
  • ICEBLUE
NICHOLAS

Yes, it makes sense. I agree with you that "some things are universal. Love, hate, greed, jealousy, companionship, family and friendship all belong to humanity". Thank you!
Dec 28, 2007 20:37
  • LHAYS1
My Lixia jokingly tells me "it will be best if we do not learn each others language"....She says "if you can't understand me, then you can't argue with me....hahaha"....she says "so what is left? Love and Tolerance...."you love me...I tolerate you...hahaha"

She has a very warped sense of humor....I like that!
Jan 2, 2008 01:12
  • SUKKI
Quote: "There will always be differences whether cultural or not. Each individual is unique. If there is enough love, there will be understanding, openness, support and compromise."

Exactly what I wanna say!!

Jan 3, 2008 00:09
  • MOONDOLLARS
LHAYS1 -

As different as that is, I think it makes complete and total sense. If you love someone, you tolerate them, that's true. There is no need to learn the other's language, just appreciate and trust them.

NICHOLAS -

That's a very philosophical way of looking at it. I like that it's not only intellectual but makes sense as well. We really should accept other people's differences and not change them. I think as Iceblue is talking in a practical sense, you are talking more in a general sense, but both arguments have their validity.

Haha, I'm like some kind of judge....if that makes sense.

- moondollars
Jan 3, 2008 20:15
  • SUNNYDREAM
I agree with you guys. If we love someone, we should not only love his/her merits, but also his/her disadvantages. The one we love is a complete entity. We can not just love their pleasing aspects of nature. Love me, love both my merits and frailty.
Jan 4, 2008 01:50
  • NICHOLAS
你写得很对啊!!!!

So I think perhaps the answer is:

Can Love Melt Away Cultural Differences?

No, Love wouldn't dare. Love want's us to celebrate, respect and be tolerant of our differences. It is because we are different that we can love each other at all.

Can Lust Melt Away Cultural Differences?

What Cultural Difference??
Jan 7, 2008 21:51
  • LEONARDO
NICHOLAS

You redefined the connation of the word" love". I have heard of two versions about the definition of "LOVE" according to morphology and etymology.
Version No.1
LOVE=Loyalty+Obligation+Virtue+Equality
Version No.2
LOVE= Lust+Own+Virgin(Virtual)+Everlasting

You can undertand the implication of the two explanations. The two different versions embody two kinds of attitudes towards life and love. Playboys choose the second version. Responsible men choose the first version.
For your revised question "Can Lust Melt Away Cultural Differences?", yes, because there is no cultural difference in " lust" between East and West. Or in a broad sense, there is no difference in "LUST' between Human society and animal world.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can love melt away cultural differences?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code