Menu
Will handwritten letters disappear completely?
Dec 17, 2007 23:51
  • KATRINA
With the advancement of Means of Communication, more and more people using mobile phone and computer to instead of letters.

However, handwritten letters have a sense of personal touch, which is much less apparent in cell phone and computer communication. The reason is very simple. Letter writing takes considerably longer time than sending an email on a computer. After finishing a letter, people need to drop it in a mailbox or go to a post office to mail it. In modern time, the idea of spending more time on something indicates the importance attached to it. The recipient of a letter, therefore, appreciates it more than answering a call or getting an email from a friend.

Will handwritten letters disappear completely? What do you think?
Dec 18, 2007 04:07
  • BBQQ
Handwritten letters carry more personal feelings. I still prefer writing letters to my friends.Writing letters is different from making a call. Perhaps, it is only a matter of partiality.
Dec 18, 2007 09:54
  • GRIZ326
I spend as much time writing a letter to my gal as I would writing it; the difference is she gets it a few minutes rather than a few weeks later.

...but I understand your thought that handwritten letters are disappearing. You hardly need a pen in the US these days except to sign your name.

Handwriting will disappear more slowly in China because entering characters without knowledge of pinyin is difficult.

We will have lost something valuable if we forget how to write by hand.
Dec 18, 2007 20:30
GUEST24125 If a guy writes me letters by hand while he is away, and sends them to me, it touches my heart in a way that e-mails do not. There is something about holding a paper in your hand that has traveled from a loved one to you, because their fingers have touched it, and now it's in your hands. Some of what I consider the most romantic couples spent a long time writing each other letters before they could be together. If a guy wrote me a letter every day, I would know he really loves me. I really love to write letters because when I hold a pen in hand, the words that come out are more thoughtful than those I write on a laptop. It has something to do with what Marshall McLuhan said: "The medium is the message."
Dec 19, 2007 08:25
There is something about holding a paper in your hand that has traveled from a loved one to you, because their fingers have touched it, and now it's in your hands.

This is a good point you have raised, there is also the perfumed letter that can give it that special touch, but I cant imagine someone enjoying the smell of their PC, he he
Alan
Dec 19, 2007 11:45
  • GRIZ326
The scratch 'n sniff computer screen is coming Alan. ;-)

Dec 19, 2007 19:28
  • ICEBLUE
"There is something about holding a paper in your hand that has traveled from a loved one to you, because their fingers have touched it, and now it's in your hands"

Very well put, GUEST24125,
The passion hidden in the handwritten lotters is unmatched by other that of other means of communication. Handwritten letters will never disappear.
Dec 19, 2007 19:39
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Although I don’t have anything against hand written letters, if I love someone, I would want letters from him as fast as I could get them so I would be leaning on emails. Written letters are good too but I would still want to get the lightning speed emails hehe…Hand written letters are called snail mails. If I am waiting for a letter from a loved one, it would seem like ages before I can get it. ^_^”

Instead of touching a letter, why can't I just touch my beloved? LOL!
Dec 19, 2007 20:44
  • LEONARDO
"Hand written letters are called snail mails. If I am waiting for a letter from a loved one, it would seem like ages before I can get it."

Shesgottobe, it sounds that you are addicted to computer, right? You will feel very different when you receive a hand letter. Maybe, you can have a try.

"Instead of touching a letter, why can't I just touch my beloved? LOL!"

You can not touch your beloved because he is in the distance. You can only touch him in the photo frame. LOL.
Dec 20, 2007 01:17
The problem with electronic mail is " Dear John " letters get to you quicker, so it has it's downside too.
Alan
Dec 20, 2007 19:40
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"Shesgottobe, it sounds that you are addicted to computer, right? You will feel very different when you receive a hand letter. Maybe, you can have a try."

Sure, Leonardo, why not? I’ll try sending myself a handwritten letter one of these days and see how I feel. LOL!

I don’t think I am addicted to computer. Sure, I use computer at work all day and I use computer at home, too and I walked the length of Nathan Road in Hongkong just to find a computer with internet access…... erm….....…you’re right, I am addicted. ^_^”

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will handwritten letters disappear completely?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code