Menu
Differences between Chinese movies and Hollywood movies
Dec 20, 2007 01:21
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Hollywood movies have been popular for nearly a century. Recently, for many people around the world, Chinese movies are alluring more and more viewers. Can you tell the differences between Hollywood movies Chinese movies?

In my humble opinion, the most prominent difference lies in the amount of nudity and sex scenes contained in Chinese and American films. Hollywood movies try to allure the audience by showing lots of erotic scenes. Hollywood movies seem to base on the principle of " sex sells".

While, , there is less skin and sex scenes in Chinese films.Chinese movies highlight the plotline and the quality of dramatization. This may in part be due to the fact that China has quite strict censorship laws.
Can you tell more about the differences between Chinese movies and Hollywood movies?
Dec 20, 2007 10:35
I personally think one of the differences is the feel of the movies, its hard to explain but its this sense of awe type feeling to the Chinese films.
Dec 20, 2007 19:43
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I haven’t watched a lot of Chinese movies but those I watched usually have a lot of subtleties on them except the Kung Fu movies. Hollywood movies usually have a lot of almost good screen effects. Both are good in their own ways. Regarding nudity, I have watched Japanese, Italian and Korean films and I observed more nudity and gore in them, even more than American movies, that is assuming we are not including *** in this topic.
Dec 20, 2007 20:00
  • JIMMYB
FRANKENSTEIN, I have to say that more and more Chinese movies have contained sex scenes in recent years. Apple and Lust and Caution are two typical examples. In mainland, Lust and Caution was cut about six to seven minutes when it was shown. It is said that Apple was also cut. Does it mean that Chinese movies have been westernized? Some Chinese directors make movies to cater to western audience. In this way, they can get the chance to win the Oscar award. Sad to see this!
Dec 21, 2007 01:38
I like Chinese Movies, I think the difference is there is much more money put into making films in Hollywood.
As for nudity in the films, I like the way Jackie Chan does it in his films with great humour, I wouldn't like to see the Chinese film industry go overboard with nudity, not that I'm complaining at the sight of naked women, but then I am a man.
Alan
Mar 4, 2010 01:10
  • VGONDRAL
I think no deference Chinese Movie and Hollywood Movies but Hollywood movie is Internationale level Chinese movies only some countries.
Venkatesh
Jun 30, 2011 10:57
GUEST98199 In the Good Versus Bad genre of films, western films nearly always have the good guys winning, i.e. Good guy saves the day, bad guy dies.

In a lot of Chinese films there is more of a sense of balance. i.e. Good guy generally saves the day, bad guy generally dies, BUT good guy or an associate or element of the good guy might die/suffer at the end aswell!
Jul 17, 2011 02:45
  • LAUGH
The main difference is Chinese movies are lack of creativity. Kungfu Panda is the best example to elaborate my idea.

Someone who called on people to boycott Kungfu Panda because he thought it is some kind of culture invasion. But he never thought about this question: why couldn't Chinese people make a movie like Kungfu Panda that not only reflects Chinese traditional culture vividly but also amuses the audience greatly?

Jul 25, 2011 18:17
  • MARK_81
You know I'm more of a indie film/art house film kinda guy I love the story to do most if not all of the talking!! hollywood productions can be very impressive but I can only enjoy them if the story is telling me something the big explosion films usually dont do anything for me although I love Bruce Willis films so go figure on that one lol

Chinese films i'm still discovering but so far some give me that simpler story which I enjoy
Jul 30, 2011 23:43
  • NOBODY
Ha That's a good question...
For me the difference is the creativity... I spend several years here in China, watch movies and everything.
When i see the beginning of a chinese movie, i can tell you how it ends. No need to watch it.
(The same with Korean movies which are very famous here in China)
Many chinese movies are about the Japanese invasion or about the Past with Emperor "I-dont-know-who"
Or of course the Kung Fu movies how Chinese people would like that their Kung Fu is (jumping from tree to tree, falling 30 m and still be able to run as nothing happens, fighting against 50 men and winning) (Those men have better weapons and wait till on of them is dead to attack the hero)

China loves History, so there are not many new movies And this is the difference between Hollywood and Chinese movies.

(Now that chinese movie makers have more money or an more open market, they also show much more nudity and a lot killing)
Aug 1, 2011 04:45
  • CHERRY07
Now that chinese movie makers have more money or an more open market, they also show much more nudity and a lot killing.

This is not what I want to see. Imitation is no good.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Differences between Chinese movies and Hollywood movies
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code