Menu
How to make photos smaller?
Dec 28, 2007 14:20
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Photoshop is one of the top softwares to do that, yet it costs a few hundred bucks just to resize pictures.
Dec 29, 2007 00:51
  • DAVEC
A few hundred? full photoshop maybe but photoshop elements is a cut down version and does most things. Besides, who pays full price for software?
Dec 29, 2007 01:38
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I dont know anyone who has paid full price for software, but there are those who either do not have high speed connection or know where to get them or both.
Jan 10, 2008 12:47
  • CARLOS
With my new camera (Canon 400D) came a cd, in which is some software. One is for "RAW" photos. I think it means photos taken with RAW-mood can not be seen before edited with RAW software. I have instructions, but they are not very spesific.
As far as I understand, professional photographers shoot RAW photos and edit them afterwards, but I donĀ“t know why.
Could this be useful to a complete amateur? Anyone knows?

Carlos
Jan 10, 2008 15:52
  • DAVEC
Carlos,

When a camera takes a shot in jpeg the data goes through the cameras processor and is then compressed to reduce its size.
With RAW the data bypasses the processor and is saved with virtually no compression hence it is known as RAW data.
The manufacturers supply software to convert and see the image but any adjustments you make in that software need to be saved and that is best done as a TIFF file again because it compresses less.
I shoot everything as RAW because it allows much better adjustments especially white balance, I then look at and adjust every image I want to use on my website. I save 1 copy as RAW, 1 copy as TIFF and also 1 copy as low quality jpeg for the website.
If you want to shoot RAW consider the time you need to spend on your pc and the space you need to store the images. a 10mp camera will shoot approx 8-12mb files in RAW and when converted to TIFF they will be around 50mb.
RAW is really the best quality but unless you plan to do very large photos then its possibly not worth it.
Jan 10, 2008 21:08
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I Couldn't have put it better than that, good stuff Davec.

Carlos, Does that rebel xti model come with live action?
Jan 10, 2008 23:10
  • DAVEC
The only model Canon do with live is the 40D, and its not that good. Too complicated to activate and the focus is poor.
The manufacturers need to stop putting gimmicks on the cameras and concentrate on other things, they will probably put video on the DSLRs next.
Jan 10, 2008 23:36
  • APAULT
Even with standard jpg format, I would not consider releasing my photos to friends without editing them.

There is usually a need to crop them so as to remove unwanted surroundings, and often to zoom in. Often the lighting needs adjusting, such as when the pic is backlit and the a foreground subject is dark and hard to see. As a courtesy, I also copy my pics into smaller kb sizes so that they are more readily sent over the net - most ppl just want a quick look, not a work of art.
Jan 11, 2008 01:04
  • DAVEC
I understand what you say Paul but some of us like our works of art. I always try to take photos that not only give me pleasure but encourage other to visit where I went and also try to take good quality photos too.
Jan 11, 2008 08:42
  • JABAROOTOO
Ditto Dave
Just wish I had better equipment but that's my goal one day to have a really good camera again. I sure miss the SLR but these little digitals are great for travelling light.
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to make photos smaller?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code