Menu
160,000 people celebrate at Christmas Eve in Chongqing
Dec 24, 2007 21:58
  • BBQQ
Source: www.cqnews.net.

The source reports that about 160,000 Chongqing people gathered volunteerly at Jiefangbei, the most prosperous downtown of Chongqing to celebrate Christmas Eve. The goverment assigned about 2000 polices to maitain the order.

Dec 24, 2007 21:59
  • BBQQ
Horrible!

Dec 24, 2007 22:00
  • BBQQ
Security men maintaining the order.

Dec 27, 2007 02:11
GUEST14788 My son is in Chongqing - and was attacked by girls hitting him with the plastic clubs. Is this the Chinese idea of Christmas ?

Very strange - Christmas is meant to be a time of peace.
Dec 31, 2007 03:10
  • JABAROOTOO
Despite living in Chongqing this is something that I have not been able to understand.

I have spent four Christmas's here in this city and while many of the foreigners I know have witnessed this most strange of phenomenon's, most of us are quite perplexed by it.

It resembles Christmas in no other country or city in China that I am aware of and has become quite a dangerous evening especially for a foreigner who is likely to be mobbed in the excitement. 2000 extra police !!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks more like New Years Eve which is also celebrated here in this fashion but without the fireworks. I ventured down town on New Years Eve 2004 but left on the advice of Chinese friends before midnight but not without being sprayed with 'snow' and my friends were hammered with the plastic hammers.

New Years Eve 2006 I spent in Chongqing's second major shopping district SanXia Square in Shapingba. After dinner and drinks with friends we left our restaurant/bar in some trepidation to 'run the gauntlet' of crowds that we suspected would be gathering in the square. Imagine our surprise when we emerged into the cold night to find the square completely deserted. Our small group constituted a 'crowd'.

Everyone must have been in Jiefangbei. We could hardly believe it.

This Christmas Eve I will spend in my home as well and be glad to be indoors and safe.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Dec 31, 2007 03:16
  • JABAROOTOO
Sorry, this should read this New Years Eve I will spend in my home.

Christmas Eve I spent in my home celebrating with some of my very special Chinese friends, allowing them to experience my traditional Christmas, including a turkey dinner followed by 'Carols by candlelight' and the giving of gifts.

A very peaceful evening and a real blessing for me when I am so far from home.

All this despite what was happening in Jiefangbei
Jan 2, 2008 10:49
  • APAULT
It seems to me that Christmas and New Year celebrations in China are rather like Labour days were in Britain. Workers in Britain often had 1st may as a holiday without employer approval precisely because it was not approved by the employers. The new celebrations seem to be young people choosing new occasions to party, without a need to visit the rellatives - it is THEIR celebration.
Post a Reply to: 160,000 people celebrate at Christmas Eve in Chongqing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code