Menu
Why have New Year dinner in the restaurant?
Dec 26, 2007 21:58
  • BBQQ
Have you heard of New Year dinner? Usually, family members have big dinner at New Year's Eve at home to celebrate New Year's coming. That big dinner is called 'New Year dinner'. At present, more and more families in cities choose to have their New Year dinner in the restaurant instead of having it at home. 2007 is coming to the end and 2008 is coming. Some hotels or restaurants told the newpaper that about 90% New Year dinners have been reserved in advance. Moreover, the New Year dinner is not cheap.

Why do they have New Year dinner in the hotel or restaurant? Very convenient. People needn't buy vegetables, meat and other materials to prepare for the dinner. But I don't think it is not a good idea. To prepare for a dinner and have it with your family members at home is really a happy thing.

What do you think of it? Which do you prefer, having New Year dinner at home or in the restaurant?

Dec 26, 2007 22:02
  • JCNILE123
Therefore, every thing stays clean at home.
Dec 27, 2007 04:02
  • JIMMYB
Well, I prefer to have New Year dinner with my family members at home, not only clean but also economical.
Dec 27, 2007 04:22
Maybe they want a break from the normal way of life, it's nice to be waited on for a change, everyone can let their hair down and see in the New Year together.
Alan
Dec 27, 2007 04:49
  • EVENING
Yes Alan, I think you are right. Most people want a break from the normal life. We cook meals everyday, then why not have a break and enjoy a dinner out at the end of a year? : )
Dec 27, 2007 18:56
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Hmmm... If I want to have dinner and enjoy New Year with my loved ones, it doesn’t really matter whether it’s at home or in a restaurant. What matters is that we are together. It’s more than enough for me. ^_^
Dec 27, 2007 20:39
  • JIMMYB
Evening, long time no see! Does everything go well? I hope so.

Well, SHESGOTTOBE. For Chinese people, it is also a good opportunity to unite. Personally, I don't like going to noisy places. You see, many families have New Year dinners together in a restaurant. It is too noisy.
Dec 28, 2007 11:07
  • APAULT
Western/International New Year's Eve is not especially a family celebration - we had that a week before: Christmas Day. In England it was a relatively minor event that has grown in the late 20th Century. But it has been long been a major festival in Scotland where it is known as Hogmanay.
Dec 28, 2007 19:17
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"For Chinese people, it is also a good opportunity to unite."

We are not so different in this aspect, JimmyB. ^_^

"You see, many families have New Year dinners together in a restaurant. It is too noisy."

True. Once, I was in the middle of my dinner in a restaurant in Beijing when two men sitting on the table next to mine started talking loudly. Well, more like yelling at each other. And since I couldn’t understand what they were saying, I seriously thought there was a fight going on. They were getting physical, too, as they were pushing at each other. I was thinking they could be drunk. I grabbed my purse from the seat beside me and put it on my lap, ready to bolt out anytime it gets worse.

Turns out they were just fighting on who is going to pay the bill because each one wanted to pay for the other one. I was like… umm… ok. O_o

And it wasn’t even New Year. O_o
Dec 28, 2007 19:26
  • JIMMYB
SHESGOTTOBE, not only you but also many other foreigners have the same experience. They can't understand that why they 'quarrel' with each other while having meals. Actually, they don't. They are just talking too loudly or playing a drinking game involving the correct and mutual guessing of the figure the opponent will express with his fingers. Usually, the loser has to be punished, drinking wine. Sometimes, they really fight with each other when they are drunk.
Jan 2, 2008 23:01
  • MOONDOLLARS
I prefer the family to have New Year's dinner at home because the family members can be themselves at home. At a restaurant, everything becomes too formal and noisy as well. It's true that sometimes Asian family members drink and it's better if they have their fill at home then drink at a restaurant and drive home at night.

A good alternative could be to order food at a restaurant and eat it at home. The food is good, the company is good, all is well, ha.

- moondollars
http://community.faithvine.com/blogs/moondollars
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why have New Year dinner in the restaurant?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code