Menu
Chinese style marriage!
Jan 2, 2008 11:15
  • CARLOS
BBQQ, the peanut?

Carlos
Jan 2, 2008 23:36
  • MOONDOLLARS
Yeah, I want to know why peanuts are involved in a traditional Chinese wedding. Also, why is the groom feeding the wife the peanut instead of the other way around? Is it because the tradition hopes that the wife will have many kids? Does it have to do with the process of sexual intercourse? That could be part of it - that's my guess. Also, does anyone know how much that wedding costs? I thought the woman rides in sedan to her husband's home in a traditional Chinese wedding and that the man sits on the horse to pick her up? Why is he riding to the home?

This is all very confusing. Can anyone explain the concept of a Chinese traditional wedding to me and its symbolisms as well?

- moondollars
Jan 4, 2008 21:53
  • BBQQ
Why step over saddle and brazier? Stepping over the saddle and brazier mean that people hope the groom and bride will be safe and live happily in the future and that their days are as 'hot' as fire in the brazier. In Chinese, we say '希望他们日后平平安安,日子过的红红火火". Kevin has explained the symbolic meaning of peanuts. While in the bridal chamber, there are dates (枣), peanuts (花生), logans (桂圆) and pomegranates (石榴籽) that are placed on the plate. In Chinese, those four words have similar pronunciation with '早生贵子---枣,生,桂,籽.'
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese style marriage!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code