Menu
China Study Abroad Reviews
Jan 2, 2008 22:54
  • ROSE118
Hi all,
I saw recently that there been some questions about Study Abroad in China. Here is UCLA Institution of Chinese Language Studies recommendations and ranking:

Approved organizations
1. World Link Education, (www.worldlinkedu.com) & Duke in China program (www.duke.edu/apsi/china/) 2. Others Educasian (www.educasian.com, CEA (www.Gowithcea.com)

The list of not approved or licensed Study Abroad Organizations:

China Study Abroad CSA (www.chinastudyabroad.org), PRC Study (www.prcstudy.com) & Global Exchange (www.glexchange.net)

Apr 4, 2008 17:21
GUEST38114 Can you tell me why the China Study Abroad program is not approved by the UCLA language center?

Andrew
Mar 9, 2009 22:49
GUEST26149 This is what I found about this company:

Re: China Study Abroad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CSA is RETARDEDLY overpriced. I have a number of friends studying in Beijing through them. Basically, CSA kids are just regular students. All CSA does is handle some of the legwork when it comes to sending in applications, finding you an apartment, finding you a Chinese tutor, etc.

If you did all of that on your own, you can save yourself many thousands of dollars. My friends are doing a year long program at BLCU through CSA and they are spending over $17,000 USD. If you handle all of that stuff on your own, you would probably only end up spending about $8-10K for the year.

CSA is basically a way for Western parents to send their kids off to China without 1.) doing much research and 2.) getting too worried about sending their kids to the other side of the world.

Link at: http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=26266
Mar 11, 2009 10:54
  • DANO
I had earlier posted a question about studying Mandarin in China at the end of this summer. I found a program through a company called Amerispan that offered Mandarin in Beijing or Hangzhou. They had both a apartments and homestay option. I wanted to go on the 3 week trip to Hangzhou it ran about $1210.00 excluding international airfair. My question was is this a good deal or if anyone had any experience in these tours. Like the Guests said maybe I could save money another way, I'd rather spend money around China, not wasting it with uneccessary expenses.
Mar 11, 2009 11:11
  • DANO
Wow I just reread my post, it is a good thing I will not be teaching english!!!! Take care everyone.
May 13, 2009 01:05
GUEST15183 I actually did a China Study Abroad (CSA) program last summer and loved it! Because of what it included I thought (and my parents thought) it was well worth the price - they picked me up at the airport, helped me get a visa, arranged an awesome apartment, and the other students on the program were great, apart from the activities on the weekends we went all over campus and the area to eat, shop, and have fun (when not studying of course!). I had only had two semesters of Chinese before I got to Beijing and was so glad for the support the CSA staff provided, so that details like police registration and utility payments weren't missed due to the language barrier! I am considering going back to China with CSA for a program over the winter after my fall semester ends if I have all my gen eds completed by then. I love Beijing :)
May 17, 2009 22:00
GUEST26149 :-) I am willing to bet 100 bucks that previous post is done by a staff member to justify their “services”….. I have not met anyone that been satisfied paying a fortune going to China through a middleman. All the things are easy to arrange by yourself and you even get help for free from the school, program or university you apply to.

My advice: Apply to the university yourself and save thousands of dollars…….
Jun 19, 2009 15:07
GUEST91278 hi im doin my As level in kuwait ...i would like to u knw if i can join any medical university in china on basis of my IGCSE and As level ...thank you soo much
mariam
reply on my id plz (hotmail.com|mariam_taurus92)
Jul 5, 2009 20:38
GUEST70170 My view on this is simple, the study abroad companies in china are way too overpriced. Its not difficult to get a place at a chiense university like blcu in beijing. It is also not difficult to find your own apartment. Also lots of ppl can speak english in china now, and its not the 3rd world. So charging thousands of dollars just to do a little bit of leg work is crazy.

Also most of the ppl who go with CSA or Worldlink etc end up going to about one or 2 of the activities and usually most of the firends people make are through the course and university. My opinion do your own research. Go online to the local china forums, lots of ppl wanting to share apartments etc and willing to help. Simple fact is i went with China Study Abroad and found it a total rip off, and apart from their website nothing about them is professional. I also didn't hear any raving reviews of the other companies whilst i was out there.
Jul 6, 2009 11:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Some of the best options are to apply directly to a University in a city of your choice for full-time study which offers around15 hours per week.

One year tuition fee should cost around Y12000/15000 or for six months it will be exactly half. You may also apply for shorter periods but may not get a student visa. A tourist visa would probably suffice if you are here for less than three months.

This fee does not include books Y100 per semester or food and lodgings. Most universities offer dormitory at a very reasonable rate and food is cheap. Even if you rent an apartment for a long-term stay this is often less than Y1000 per month. Or try homestay.

So lets sum up for one years study

tuition fees Y12000
rent/ accommodation Y 5000/10000
Food a misc expenses Y5000
Z Visa/Medical/books Y1200

Use the current exchange rate
Sep 30, 2009 12:28
GUEST91165 CSA definitely is overpriced.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: China Study Abroad Reviews
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code