Menu
How to cope with Asian-Style Squat toilet?
Jan 5, 2008 16:15
  • JOHNFONTANA
We had a famility vacation in China several months. It's great place to visit, and everything was great, except for the bathrooms. My 9-year old daughter still always laughingly tell all her friends how she wetted the edge of her skirts when first time using the squat toilet.

Among the places we went, the Great Wall surely impressed us most, Suzhou Wuxi and Hangzhou are pretty similar in appearance, and people there seem to have a very relaxed life style.

John
Jan 5, 2008 16:31
  • JCNILE123
He, he,
Something to talk about it,
Not a lot of advice to give on the subject,
However, just laugh and get used to it.

Jan 5, 2008 19:51
  • CANADAGUY
Good topic John.

I hope some nationals can fill us in on the background/history of this tradition.
Perhaps also explain why toilet paper is seldom if ever provided in public places as well?

The only thing my feeble brain can think of at the moment is that the way things are now, no one can sue an establishment for a disease contracted from a toilet seat. :)

It's not a big deal for doing no. 1, but no. 2 is a real pain in the ass, or stomach, or calves, or....

Jan 5, 2008 20:57
  • JOHNFONTANA
Some people argue that squat toilets are better than sitting ones, especially in public restrooms, because 1) no contact between you and the unclean surface; 2) no potential splash water on the body; 3) We are biologically designed to squat (aren't we designed to sit?).

Hmm... makes some sense to me. I got used to it after a while. Maybe we should have some squat toilets in highway rest areas, or camping sites, etc.

But I think it's a big problem to people with physical challenges. However, in China, it's rare to see obese people. Is it their gene? Or the Chinese food? Maybe it can be another topic.

No paper is indeed puzzling. Could it be traditionally short of paper? Or people just like use their own paper, and are used to the way it is?

John
Jan 5, 2008 23:43
  • APAULT
The so called 'asian toilet' is also found in Europe as far west as France! (I confess it is quite a few years since I was in France so maybe it has been superseded.)

How they came about is simple... humans squatted before they ever invented seats. It takes a little getting used to, but you learn. many a local manages to smoke a cigarette and read the paper at the same time. For me, it was far harder getting used to the open cubicles :(

No paper - well it gets stolen...remember the level of poverty, most couldn't afford it. Think yourselves lucky. In Papua New Guinea I was given coconut husks!

In many countries, to my knowledge - many arab ones for example, there is a tap in each cubcle.... you use your left hand to apply water and clean yourself. Thus it is the height of discourtesy to touch anyone or to eat with your left hand. Carry a bar of soap and it ain't so bad especially in times of troubled stomachs. So, in China, if you find yourself without paper.... remember that urine is sterile, so don't waste it as soon as you squat!!
Jan 6, 2008 02:24
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
The bathroom situation was the probably the hardest thing to overcome while I was in China. I didn't mind squatting but no toilet paper, having to flush down crap with a bucket and also having to shower next to one of those things still give me shivers down my spine whenever I look back at the experience.
Jan 6, 2008 13:18
  • GRIZ326
As a hunter and hiker I've squatted in the woods many times, so China's squat toilets have never been a problem for me. However, I am not a fan of public toilets of any kind - any where, I'd rather go behind a bush. ;-)
Jan 6, 2008 23:41
  • JCNILE123
Yes, I saw them in Eastern Europe too.

I just avoid the ones in the village, the much as I can.

About paper, well, I was inform that I must provide my on paper or else.
Jan 7, 2008 02:47
  • JABAROOTOO
Great to hear all these comments.
Recently asked this question by some Chinese friends.

Why do we -the west- have 'sit down toilets'?

I followed up with some research into this most interesting of topics.

It seems that the sit down 'flushing' toilet was the natural outcome of 'affluence' in all the major empires of the world. A recent documentary on China highlighted an unearthed Imperial ruin of more than 2000 years with sit down toilets where water flowed beneath to wash away the 'effluence'. The seat even had arm rests for a most leisurely experience.

The 'squat box ' or variations of this have been in use around the world since the year dot and I for one have used this kind of disposal while camping on numerous occasions. It is still the toilet of choice in many nations today and I would have to agree that for health reasons, in public toilets it is generally a better choice.

So long as they like any others are kept clean they are not difficult or inconvenient to use unless you have some physical issue. But then all toilet are a problem to some degree.

Personally I only find the toilets a problem when they have been left in a fouled condition by previous users or there is no running water for whatever reason and the stench and sight is then rather overwhelming.

I have to confess that I have been into public toilets in my own country that I have not been able to use because they are so fouled it is impossible to use. Toilet paper is wastefully strewn around as well. All good reason to BYO

Todays 'modern flushing' toilet is the work of several inventors over the past 6/7 decades and again the result of the industrial era and the ensuing general affluence of society. Watch the trend in China.

Most two plus bathroom apartments and villas in China (and there are lots of these) have one squat for guest but you will nearly always find a 'sit down' in all the private bathrooms.
Jan 10, 2008 04:41
  • APAULT
DESTRUCK: you miss the advantage. You can crap and shower at the same time :) It's a great time saver when you are late for work in the morning! But otherwise you do have to learn not to 'put your foot in it' while showering :)

Ah, tis sad that these are the things we will remember when we leave the country.

(But I still don't get why we are supposed to put paper in buckets instead of flushing it when there is ample water supply.)
Jan 11, 2008 00:48
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Its not much of an issue of advantage as it is sanitary, much like how people still debate whether its proper to pee while showering. Maybe its because I grew up in America where these two are always separated (Most custom built homes have a sit down flushing toilet in its own enclosed compartment within the restroom, such as my house). Perhaps where your from, its not much different. But for the last 22 years of my life, I have never been to a place where running water was the latest upgrade and people still cook with wood burning stoves. While this trip tremendously enhanced my experiences, these are not the things I remember most about a beautiful country such as China. Heres a pic of Foshan, probably my favorite city to stay in so far.

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to cope with Asian-Style Squat toilet?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code