Menu
Power comes from the barrel of a gun
Dec 7, 2008 21:13
  • METEOR
Yes, power comes from the barrel of a gun. Mao sees it as a key to his party CPC's success. Partly, the reason why Mao launched the cultural revolution is that he felt he lost the barrel of the gun.
Dec 7, 2008 22:15
  • COOLSPRINGS
When Mao realized that he was becoming dummy and nobody listened to him, He used a Gang of Four as his gun to wash and kill. The event of cultural revolution - a fight for dominant power in CPC- brought back and strenthened his power but almost collapsed the whole nation!
Jan 12, 2009 12:13
GUEST65969 i have never owned a gun.but think about the mighty USA they rule and kick ass . cos the power does come from the barrel of a gun
Feb 22, 2009 13:40
GUESTECOLOGIST Power comes from the belly of a bomber (Hirishima, Nagasaki).
This ended the Pacific War, leaving Mao free to fight the Guomindong
Feb 25, 2009 16:22
GUEST32833 I think it is true because when you evoke the idea of a government in order to 'organize' society and solve complex social interaction you are in fact saying that guns can 'organize' society and solve complex social interactions. To put it simply, government is the idea that violence can solve problems.
Apr 13, 2009 10:32
GUEST21223 The government that fears guns in the hands of its citizens.... should.

I also find it not a coincidence that the govt officials who most strongly fear the right of the people to keep and bear arms, also tend to fear recording devices in the hands of citizens too, as well as anonymous free speech by them too.
Jun 5, 2009 20:15
GUEST13621 Actually it's usually the scholars and intellectuals who write history.

The people who hold the guns are distorted into the perspective of liberal scholars.

In free societies anyway...
Sep 23, 2009 07:04
GUESTMICKYMOUSE Not to start an Internet comment war or anything but...

While It does hold true in many ways Id say its slightly over simplified, power can be measured in a lot of ways. Power certainly does come from the Barrel of a gun, and If you cant project force whether personal or national then you will be pillaged by somebody that can. Just nature.
If its about ruling a country then one party/faction/group can never have ALL The power. They can have the power to pursuade or maybe enforce for a while, but the people that hold those guns have to eat, drink and sleep. Coercion can make people do a lot for a while but its more the fear of the gun than the actual being shot that makes people go. People have a habbit of rebbelling, for further reading look at "American war of Independance" for example.

Although the phrase has merit, and it is a refreshing change to the liberal nonsense that superior ideals will keep affairs in shape (as is bounced around a lot now adays) I prefer the phrase coined by Tsun Tze, "The Target is the mind of your Enemy".
The fear or incentive of what you threaten or offer is more often the driving factor than the reality itself.

Just my opinion,
Sep 26, 2009 15:51
One of the most powerful images I remember from my youth is of american youngsters placing flowers in the gun barrels of US National Guardsmen (I think... please correct me if my memory deceives me)... in this case power was derived from the barrel of a gun in an unusual way... not based on violence, but of a view contrary to the Chairman's I think.
Sep 28, 2009 04:42
  • FLICKER
Yea, whatever system a country has ( Parliament), who hold the gun will have the ultimate power. Power comes from the barrel of a gun.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Power comes from the barrel of a gun
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code