Menu
Accommodation: whats hot and whats not!
Jan 8, 2008 05:09
  • ARLENA
There are so many travellers in China and most are wanting to find a recommended place to stay.
If you're 5-star then you'll know what you're getting. However if you're like me and want a value-for-money, heated ( at least at this time of year!) clean, comfortable place with a bathroom that doesnt smell, where the staff are friendly and perhaps speak enough English to help guests please let everyone know. I hate dispappointments.
Do you know a guest house that reminds you why you're in China and is close to whatever it is you're personally looking for, perhaps we could start a thread where the good places are recommended and the not so good are "outed" so they have to lift their game.
I'll start: I'm in Chengdu and I stay at Sam's Guest House - on Shanxi Street, close to the wonderful People's park. It's a delight. The front looks like a garage then you go through the foyer of a real hotel called the Rong Cheng that is full of smokers and card players . Dont be put off. You then enter a beautiful garden with carp ponds and trees to see the actual guest house. The rooms are clean, a good size and are actually cleaned every day by Hotel staff. The rate is very very reasonable. A hotel at guesthouse rates. Angie the manager speaks better english than most Ozzies ( sorry guys) and is totally helpful, advice as to what buses to take where -writes direction in Chinese, shares her biscuits, and can organise trips to anywhere including tibet.
I'm off to Beijing in about a week- so any great recommendations for a warm clean friendly economical guesthouse in a Hutong from someone who has stayed there will be appreciated.
Feb 3, 2008 03:23
  • IKAYKONG56
Hi Arlena, is there an e-mail address that I can contact regarding this Sam's place? Thanks.
Feb 3, 2008 05:53
  • ARLENA
Sam's GuestHouse is 's Tel: 86(China)-28(Chengdu)-86118322/66496301
Fax:86(China)-28(Chengdu)-86154179
www.hostelchengdu.com
Address:130 Shanxijie St,Chengdu,China
gmail.com|samguesthouse and the manager's name is Angie who speaks great Engish and is very helpful.
I originally booked through HostelBookers then after having been there a while I booked direct for the same rate. I liked the place because I am over 50 and it isn't a party house, not that a good party isnt fun but now, not when it's living it every day.
Apr 3, 2008 22:53
GUEST82923 Hi Arlena
Thanks for the info. re. Sam's Guest House. My friend Rose and I (both over 50, but fit and willing!) are planning a 6 week trip to China in Oct. and hope to experience a range of acommodation, with as little run-of-the mill hotel stays as possible. Did you have any luck in Beijing?

To anyone else out there .... Rose and I would be interested in hearing from you re. accom. options e.g. homestay, hostels, eco-lodges etc. We plan to visit Shanghai, Shuzou, Beijing, Xi'an, Lianjiang, Yangshuo, Chengdu at this stage. Any help welcome. We live in Melbourne, Australia, and reciprocal visit is a possibility.

May 25, 2008 22:39
I did a homestay program two years ago in Beijing - which I highy recommend. Homestays are a great way to experience "real China". It's where I learned most of my Mandarin- I would search for homestay companies and go with one that seems reputable and has a history of good service, I've heard of (and experienced) quite a few scams. Last summer I also I stayed at a few dive hostels in BJ (about 100 rmb a night) and, well, I got what I payed for.

In Shanghai you definitely want to stay near the bund. I used a pretty good hostel called the Captain Hostel- it was nice for what I needed.

Other places will be pretty cheap. I would always get off the train and be bombarded by cheap living options and pick and choose. I always saw the room first and then decided whether it was worth it or not (for example, I did this in Chengdu). I never reserved ahead of time, I could always find places to sleep. In some of the smaller town there are still archaic restrictions on allowing foreigners to stay in certain "sub-standard" hotels, but that was last year so maybe they've changed.

My last bit is about Yangshuo- I loved it there. I was lucky enough to get free room and board by guest teaching at Yangshuo English College for a week. One of the best times of my year in China.

Hope this helps. What I've learned is that if you can always find places to sleep on the fly, makes it more fun. But maybe that's just me.
Post a Reply to: Accommodation: whats hot and whats not!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code