Menu
z-visa without university degree
Jan 12, 2008 03:00
guestRohman Hello, my name is Rohman, I'm 26 years old from Barcelona ( Spain ).
A month ago I found a company in Beijing offering me a job as PHP developer ( website programming ), and they started the procedures to get the work permit for me to apply for a Z-Visa here before going to China. Yesterday I received email from that company saying that they are having problems with the work permit because the law was changed this year ( because of the olympics ) and now a 4 years university degree is required ( I have a college degree, not a university degree )... so seems my visa won't be issued... they told me the only thing i can do is to apply for a F-Visa ( 6 months Business visa ), enter China and then apply for the Z-Visa after the 6 months.
Do somebody knows the chances to get the Z-Visa on those premises?? or another ways to get the Z-Visa??
Thank you very much
Jan 12, 2008 20:54
  • APAULT
I think the rule was there before but maybe it has been tightened. An interesting issue with a 4 year degree rule is that it in Britain a BA honours degree is 3 years, it always has been and has always been recognised as being of the required academic standard.

If you have a degree it should not matter that it is from a college provided it has University status. I teach in a Chinese college that offers degrees and is able to do so because it is affilliated to a recognised University. So if you have a degree, you should look at finding a way of explaining this...can you supply some evidence of this? As you come from the northern hemisphere you probably span 4 years....so you need to embellish this. In my experience they only look at at photocopy of your certificate, you don't have to produce further proof.

Working on an F visa as an employee of a local company is not really permitted but many people are doing it with the knowledge of the authorities. There is always a risk of a crackdown in your area and youa re required to leave.

Your situation will not change for getting a Z visa because you are already here. You can only apply for a Z visa from outside the country and the issues you raised are the same. But if you are on an F visa, you can probably renew it.

If your company doesn't have the contact to get the Z visa on the basis of your papers, you might try a visa agency. From what I have heard many are ex-PSB people and.... yeah, one way or another they have contacts.

Hope u can find something useful in that lot.
Jan 29, 2008 08:16
  • G8WAY2CHINA
Hola Rohman. Yo me llamo Chris Cookson y espero que pueda ayudarte. Okay, I'll return to English now, as my Spanish is a little rusty. :-) I'm based in Yangzhou, Jiangsu and I work for IEERA's China office which I believe can be of assistance to you. Rest assured that our services are 100% legal and 100% legitimate. Please contact me at yahoo.com|chriscookson.ieera Hasta luego.
Jan 30, 2008 01:46
  • BARONTWANGLE
Rohman. There are many foreigners working in China without a university degree. You only have to go to any language school to see American, British, and Australian idiots who don't know the difference between "there" and "their", and "beach" and "beech", to know that it is obvious they were not educated to university level. So there must be a way around the problem.
Jan 30, 2008 15:33
  • APAULT
baron: I do hope you were not just applying the 'idiots' to Australians!

Working the language schools is often done without Z visas. Some people are on tourist visas which is definitely not permitted. Others have F visas (business) as I described above.
Jan 30, 2008 19:54
  • BARONTWANGLE
Apault - fear not, the reference to "idiots" was equally distributed among the three nations. To keep you happy, maybe I should have included New Zealand!

It is possible to get a Z visa from within China, but you need to have contacts. I know several people who have done it - none of them have university degrees.
Jan 31, 2008 04:18
  • APAULT
Baron. When you say 'get a Z visa from within China', do you mean they obtained the visa without leaving the mainland? We have discussed this a lot before and no case has ever been cited where this happened. At one point I thought I was about to get mine in Guangzhou a few months ago but in the end i had to do the round trip to HK.
Feb 1, 2008 05:31
  • BARONTWANGLE
Yes I know a person who got theirs in Beijing, and another person who got theirs in GZ. Both have good contacts though, so I guess they don't have to abide by the same system as us nobodies!
Feb 1, 2008 09:50
  • APAULT
Ah, interesting!
Apr 3, 2008 15:12
GUESTURGENT Hi, so what`s the solution without degree?
Apr 11, 2008 15:54
  • APAULT
If you have an employer who is enttled to employ you on a Z visa, and who wants you, they should proceed as normal but they might run into difficulties. It can be done but it depends on the Foreign Experts Office issuing the certificate identifying you as suitable. Alternatively apply for an F visa for the maximum period they will grant.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: z-visa without university degree
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code