Menu
Major differences in Chinese and American education
Jan 29, 2010 17:45
GUEST14752 I am interested in learning but no one wants to teach me unless I pay outrageous amounts of money: 35$ an hour at Sylivan learning center. American youth does selfish things because they see other kids only doing for his/her self and rote learn the culture of selfishness. Rote learning unites people and ideas individuality rewards only the individual.
Feb 22, 2010 21:48
GUEST95159
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTJACKIE

I can sure say, as an educators, American children ask so many questions with little information to go on. They don't care to listen, but are always up for debate!!

Totally agree!
Apr 12, 2010 09:47
GUEST01252 I love your comment. We're actually doing a documentary about this. We're leaving to Shanghai next month. If you have any ideas of how we can gain access to some local schools there, we'd greatly appreciate it. Check us out here. thekillerappmovie.com
Apr 12, 2010 11:04
  • THEKILLERAPP
We'll be shooting in Shanghai, ShanDong and YenTai next month and am looking to gain access into the local schools (preferably Shanghai). Getting access into schools in China has been quite challenging so we're reaching out to ask if you have any suggestions or contacts that can help us gain access. We would be happy to bring back footage/photos to share with you if that is of any interest. I'm bringing with me a top of the line camera that's very non-intrusive and shoots beautifully in digital HD. It would be me and possibly my assistant that will be shooting and the camera is small (looks like a still camera). If you have any ideas or contacts, please let us know. We'd greatly appreciate it!
Apr 12, 2010 11:08
  • THEKILLERAPP
I agree completely! What's interesting is in America we're moving towards that model. In the pursuit of their wanting to close the achievement gap, Asia is looking to close the creativity gap. We're a team of award winning filmmakers and we're shooting in Asia next month. If you have the name of that headmaster or can give us any ideas of gaining access to schools in China (preferably Shanghai) we'd greatly appreciate it! Please contact us at somethingfarfiner.com|emailus
Apr 12, 2010 11:11
  • THEKILLERAPP
We should be learning from each other. That is why we're producing a film looking at exactly this issue. We'll be shooting in Shanghai next month. If you have suggestions as how to gain access, please let us know. It's been very difficult to gain access into these local schools so any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!! Our email address is somethingfarfiner.com|emailus
Apr 12, 2010 11:14
  • THEKILLERAPP
The nature of the Chinese language requires more rote sometimes due to the many characters in their "alphabet." Maybe a reason they lean towards rote memorization that in the American/European cultures. We're trying to gain access to film local schools in Shanghai. If you have any suggestions, we'd greatly appreciate it. Our email address is somethingfarfiner.com|emailus

Thanks!
Apr 19, 2010 01:25
GUEST34565 i think you should learn proper grammar and get some evidence before you pass judgement.
Apr 19, 2010 18:27
  • YEMMIE
I have read through all of the posts on this subject up to know. I still think rote memorization is essential in the early grades, and learning to use that information to ask questions, apply logic, and solve problems should be practiced later, perhaps from about age 15 or 16 on. In other words, I stand by my original posts.
Apr 19, 2010 22:35
  • MARRIE
An American pupil gets a B+ on science writing about 'how to plant a tree' according to his real life practice. A chinese pupil gets an A and the source of ideas is referenced to other model writing. It's apparent which assignment has more value.
Page 4 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Major differences in Chinese and American education
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code