Menu
Major differences in Chinese and American education
Feb 21, 2009 12:24
  • MARRIE
American Edu covers US, Canada? I hear in US colleges are more than publich washrooms, It's much easier to get various degree title than that in Canada where the edu is first - class.
Feb 22, 2009 06:10
Doesn't some, of the blame for the disintegration of American education fall on the "village" in which they live? In my experience, I was lost spiritually, I didn't agree with Christian doctrines, which are the prevailing philosophy in the US, and school simply bored me. Also, I needed to experience more in life than going to college, getting a job, having a family, and than retiring to Florida, haha. In the classes I was interested in I got A's, and in the ones I wasn't F's. I have a very high IQ, and would have stayed in school, if someone had sparked my interest, and imagination, and given me hope. I see that now there is more being done to help the children who don't respond to traditional teaching methods, by sending them to alternative learning programs that will teach them more of the blue collar type of skill sets, such as electrician, or plumber, and I think that this is a good idea. Not all kids are meant to be turned into office workers, or engineers. In my case, I was very interested in environmental science, and math, maybe someone could have itervened when they saw that I had the ability to learn, but wasn't using it, and kind of pointed me in the right direction. As it is, I ended up dropping out in 10th grade. I followed the Grateful Dead around, which is this amazing kind of psychadelic community, that follows the band the Grateful Dead around, I lived in a redwood tree, in Big Sur California, hitchhikked all over the country, and had many experiences, which I wouldn' trade for anything. 16 years ago, I got into the trucking industry, and within 6 months of getting my licence, I bought my own truck, and have been working for myself, making a good living ever since. Although I have no experience with the Chinese education system, I think that maybe the Chinese children kind of accept thier fate, and are more reverant of thier parents, or are to scared to step out of line than thier American counter parts, and this can be attributed to how thier "village" raises them. Is this good, or bad? I think it can be good for the society as a whole, but not as much for the indivual such as myself. To tie this back into your thoughts about free thinkers, and rote learning (I am assuming that rote learning is repeating until they get it), if you want free thinkers, you need teachers that can keep up with them, and I think that there aren't enough to go around. So if kids are good with rote, let them rote, hehe, but if thier not, have different styles to accomodate them to.
Feb 22, 2009 10:59
  • COOLSPRINGS
Armand, you state the America edu overwhelming advantage over Chinese edu. Our Chinese children overseas are benefiting from it because my son doesn't waste his time on rote, instead he create his own ideas from what he was taught, "A "student can copy what he/she memorize in limited exam time while for'' B ''or ''C ''student could really think how to solve this case based on what she/he has leart or experience from real life or alternative programme.
May 7, 2009 16:14
GUESTCRAZY GAL thanks
Nov 7, 2009 21:29
GUESTJACKIE I can sure say, as an educators, American children ask so many questions with little information to go on. They don't care to listen, but are always up for debate!!
Dec 3, 2009 08:36
GUEST83220 Disagree! Learning the basic skills is as important as creativity.
Dec 7, 2009 17:59
GUESTMR_AWESOME I would have to say that the greatest flaw in the Chinese education system is that when you are about age 13, you have to take a test that will determine your future. I don't think that amount of stress should be put on a teenager. But on the bright side, Chinese students are very serious about school. Seniors have 7 days of school, from 6 in the morning, to 9 at night.
Dec 16, 2009 20:18
GUESTSPECTATOR I agree, its very stressful for teenagers to study that hard. however you cannot argue that hard labour will not be well rewarded. I'm just afraid that in 10 years, even the brightest of American kids will find difficulties leading a sustainable life. Simply because they haven't been challenged enough by our education system.
Although I agree the Chinese educational system is flawed in many ways, they still teaches their students to work under extreme pressure. That always gives a great advantage in the modern business world.
Jan 17, 2010 04:52
GUEST88242 I am a chinese student. What I am gonna say is that from what I know, american education's aiming is good, however when actually practicing it, many flaws are revealed. To solve this problem, the country needs common standards for what to teach and how to teach and also some more established evaluating system. And for chinese education, I can guarantee that the biggest flaw is that the whole system is designed for being easier to evaluate individuals rather than educating them. That is where all the rote is from. See, you grade tests easier if there is nothing newly created by the students that you need to think about and then try to grade them as objectively as possible...
Jan 29, 2010 17:37
GUEST14752 I am in college now and I wish I would have got my education in China. In the US my family raised me to think, education was not useful but spending money was,now I am lagging far behind my peers and have trouble applying the basic concepts due to the lack of work that was required in High School. You can never escape the fact of co evolution and that you are only as strong as your constraints allow you to be.
Page 3 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Major differences in Chinese and American education
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code