Menu
Major differences in Chinese and American education
Jan 23, 2011 16:28
  • ISHIKAWA
Having educated under both systems, I cannot say that both systems are without faults. The main difference is that the Chinese teachers appreciate their posts but the modern day American teachers do not. It is not the system. Itis the attitude and how they are executed.

One thing that was not mentioned in any of the above comments is that Chinese teachers are incentivised by monetary gratitul from the parents. The more you give the more attention your kids get from the teacher. So, the bottom line is that more money you have the better education your kids get.

Jan 23, 2011 16:43
  • ISHIKAWA
After you master the language, yu have to read between the lines to know what they want to/ trying to say.
Feb 14, 2011 12:29
GUEST88380 Chinese system seems great and all but is not the same freedom to be able to have Ideas. I believe both systems have their flaws in them..but also their good sides, America gets lots of creative minds and people who will be fighter and wont give up on anything even if we're called average. While china has a great strength in school and how they work but will they ever be able to think as freely? are they even allowed to be free?

Apr 8, 2011 13:25
GUESTZOEY The difference between chinese education and american education is chinese education makes students really hard working and they even dont have time to hang out with friends. American education makes students feels good and they have a lot of time to hang out but that didnt makes them have a bad grades.
Oct 11, 2012 17:31
GUEST61154 I would think that American education is better because they can ask questions...
Jan 20, 2013 13:07
  • MARRIE
There is a top uni. in downtown area. It's expanding its campus fast these days to accommodate more international students from oriental. I heard a westerner say that what surprise him is that he rarely see students from China and Japan on the phone or chat on face book, instead what they have on the hand are just text books.

When I told kids how they think. They say it's stupid and why they don't have life. Kids are educated under western edu system and they are good kids in terms of self-disciplines in studies and behaviors in daily life.

Therefore, I think it's hard to judge which one is better, American edu and Chinese edu. It all depends on environment and parents's guide.

However, there is one dominant advantage that America's own and benefit kids the whole life is independent thinking, creativity and self-promotion.
Jan 21, 2013 00:40
  • JIMMYB
A 9 years old girl set her alarm at 03:00 am before she went to sleep. When the alarm ringed, she got up and started doing her homework at her desk. Her parents were woken up by the alarm. Her mom came to her and asked her to sleep. The girl refused and shouted “No. I haven’t finished my homework. My teacher would scold me if I didn’t finish my homework.” Her mom left without saying anything.

According to her mom, her daughter began to do his homework after dinner. But she didn’t finish all her homework until 23:00. Seeing her daughter yawning, the mom turned off the lamp and forced her daughter to sleep. Her daughter cried and said “I would be punished if I didn’t finish my homework.” Several minutes later, her daughter fell into sleep with tears on her face.

Her daughter once asked her mom a question “I just want to have a good sleep. Why can’t my dream come true?” She could say anything but comforted her daughter.

The mom pled the reporter not to interview her daughter’s teachers. She was worried that her daughter might be punished because of the interview.

No wonder Chinese students are very good at exams.
Jan 21, 2013 20:58
  • MARRIE
Jimmy, the nine year old could fail . It is an alert that something must be wrong with her, her family or the teaching methodology...
Jan 22, 2013 00:44
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARRIE

Jimmy, the nine year old could fail . It is an alert that something must be wrong with her, her family or the teaching methodology...

It's not her fault. The teachers gave her too much homework. I have been through the times she is going through now. When I was in the third year of the Junior Middle School, our teachers sent us too many papers to do. Due to these papers, I had to stay up every night. I usually went to sleep around 00:00. The teachers told us that we had to work harder if we wanted to study in Senior Middle School. However, I didn't join the senior middle school entrance exams. Instead, I was recommended to study in the senior middle school without taking the exams.

After one year's hard work, I was shortsighted. But I could study in the senior middle school.
Jan 22, 2013 20:53
  • SWANSEA
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMMYB View Post

It's not her fault. The teachers gave her too much homework. I have been through the times she is going through now. When I was in the third year of the Junior Middle School, our teachers sent us too many papers to do. Due to these papers, I had to stay up every night. I usually went to sleep around 00:00. The teachers told u...

Jimmy, it's more horrible to look back at the days at the third year of senior middle school..haha..even though the threshold of university entrance is not as high as that back in China, the third year is the key to decide which way to go where career path is somehow emerging ahead, it's the time not to choose what u want but to be selected to become what u want to...kids at that time mostly stay up late busying in the projects...a nine year old is loaded as much work as a 18 or 19 year old, then the education system needs to be reviewed urgently..
Page 6 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Major differences in Chinese and American education
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code