Menu
Is it hard to change the first impression that someone has made on you?
Jan 20, 2008 02:48
  • SUNNYDREAM
If you have a good opinion of somebody, you will treat them very well at all times. Sometimes, even they might not treat you as kind as you treat him/her, you still speak good of him. On the contrary, a man who has left a bad first impression on you, your opinion of him will be very negative at all times. Sometimes, despite his hard efforts to change his image, you still have a bad feeling towards him. Is it hard to change the first impression someone has left on you? I had an experience: a guy made a bad first impression on you knowledge. Although, later he was very kind to me (and indeed he was very kind), but I still think he is not a good guy? Do I have any prejudice against him? It is not my intention to have a negative attitude towards him. That kind of feeling is completely out of control? I don’t know. Did anyone have similar experience? How did you get rid of that predicament?
Jan 20, 2008 07:16
  • DAVEC
You dont get a second chance to make a first impression
Jan 20, 2008 08:09
  • JCNILE123
Some times, we as human are too judgmental of the others,
That keeps us from seeing the good about an individual that created a poor impression at first.
The rule of life is that you are going to be measure by the same rule you use on the other people.
Jan 20, 2008 09:37
  • CARLOS
First impression is usually right impression. It does not only say what kind of person other is, it also says there is something in that person You like or dislike. And that thing will be there after getting to know that person.

"He is a nice guy, but there is something about him...I don´t know what it is, but it is there..."

I think it is very difficult to get rid of first impression, wheather it is correct or not.

Carlos

Jan 20, 2008 09:49
GUEST42244 as the length of time you spend with that person grows longer, you will find that new, regularly made positive impressions can erase and make you forget your first impression. Haven't you heard the story of Beauty and the Beast? I love that story. It shows that both people can change and learn.
Jan 20, 2008 10:22
  • GRIZ326
In 57 years, I do not recall changing my "first impression" opinion for the better. However, many, many first impressions turned sour with time.
Jan 20, 2008 19:07
  • SHESGOTTOBE
While it is true that first impression make a mark on people, usually however, first impressions, intentional or not, can be deceiving. A person driving a Mercedes Benz could very well be bankrupt. An upstanding businessman could be a criminal. A macho guy could be a closet gay. A demure girl could very well be a… well, you get the picture. When people talk to someone and everything went well, they automatically conclude that he/she is a nice person. I was like, how do you know that?? You just talked to him/her once.

People are a lot more complicated than that. It is impossible to know someone based on first impressions unless he/she is showing his/her real self. There are people who seem snobs when you first meet them but it turns out that they are just shy and would gradually open up as you get to know each other. I’ve had many encounters like this.

In the movie Malena, townspeople have judged her without really knowing her. At the end of the movie, they had a better opinion of her.
Jan 20, 2008 19:33
GUEST42244 i think first impressions can be very deceptive, as some people have commented above. All you need to do is read through the news. Some people we thought were heros turned out to be liars and cheaters. (i.e. think of charismatic leaders of bloody revolutions). Some people who appeared to be losers were just taking the fall for someone bigger and more powerful. Something that looks very appealing at first can have quite negative side-effects.

I believe that time can tell us a lot more about someone's character than a first impression. As a writer and journalist, I ask questions and look deeper, because it takes time to get to know someone.
Jan 22, 2008 04:01
  • BBQQ
"You only get one chance to make a first impression." I don't know who said it, but I fully agree with the quotation.
Jan 23, 2008 02:53
  • SUKKI
Is it hard to change the first impression that someone has made on you? The answer is definitely yes...that's why people always say..the first impression is important
Jan 23, 2008 20:52
  • LEONARDO
This thread reminds me of a discussion I have with my classmates about the title of the Classic novel Pride and Prejudice. It is said that the novel was originally entitled with " The First Impression", and later it was changed to " Pride and Prejudice when it was published. I thought that I was in favor of the title " The First Impression", because I did think that the first impression that Darcy ( the male protagonist) made on Elizabeth ( the female protagonist) become the biggest hindrance on their way to love. The first impression Darcy made on Elizabeth is that " he is very proud and arrogant". The bad impression is so strong that Elizabeth can't accept the fact that he would fall in love with her. The way to love became very tortuous. Fortunately, they finally get rid of the shadow of the first impression. Therefore, the first impression is so important. The first impression may incur a stereotyped opinion of you.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is it hard to change the first impression that someone has made on you?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code