Menu
Caves at Longmen
Apr 7, 2004 16:54
  • OLIVIA
Longmen/Luoyang sounds interesting but I wonder that almost nobody seems to take travelers there - is there some reason?
Apr 7, 2004 16:55
  • BETH
I was there almost three yrs ago. It is very interesting but extremely difficult to get to. This was an extension that included the first Jewish settlement and museum and the Yellow River. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit the caves. The tour company we used has discontinued this part of the tour.
Apr 8, 2004 08:42
  • JAME
Well, I was in LY over 10 years ago. I was just a teenager at that time. I think it was a great city. Even somewhat off the beaten track.

The caves are excellent. I would rate it as one of the top places that I have visited. A lot of the buddha there are headless. Even sculpture on the wall were taken down completely and shipped to the west. Two notable ones are the emperor and empress's prayer which you can see in the Met and Nelson-Atkin's Museum now.

I would love to have the opportunity to go again with like minded individuals.
Apr 8, 2004 08:43
  • DAISY
>Even sculpture on the wall were taken down completely and shipped to the west.

Wow~~
Is it true?
They are willing to cut down the real sculpture from the wall for international exhibition, aren't they?

Apr 8, 2004 08:46
  • MAXI
It is true.if you go visit the long grottoes you would find a lot of the statues were destroyed.
but i am fraid someone cut those figues not exibition.
Go to see the grottoes! it is a great trease house of stone sculpture.
Apr 8, 2004 09:21
  • DAISY
oh, I can't believe it!
Dosen't Chinese government take some measure to protect this great grotto?
Don't they and we look on helplessly the caves being destroied little by little?

Apr 8, 2004 11:06
  • MAXI
some the destroy occured naturally.that is because the stone constructed the grottes were limestone,limestone is very easy to be destoryed. and most of manmade destroy happened before the finding of new china.foreign invaders stolen some figers to abroad now the govement have been making all their effores to protect them.
Apr 8, 2004 13:46
  • DAISY
Some grottes were made of limestone, which is easy to be destried maybe by natural power. But it is may like the Leshan Giant Buddha, which is also made of the limestone. But the Leshan or Sichuan government has already taken some actions to protect. And it seems have some effects.
As we all know Longmen Grottes is great trease house of stone sculpture, so does the LY government. So why don't they have any plans or measures to protect the greatest his?
I think they should propagandize how to protect while advertising their proud historic site.
Jul 22, 2005 02:14
  • MVPZD
I was born in Luoyang, and lived there till I went to college. I know a lot about longmen caves, Everyday people around the world went to visit that place. Several years ago, the government has taken action to protect these statues.For example, they do not allow the companys which pollute the air and the water to be built around this area, they also moved the main road out from the area because of the pollution from the cars.(rains contain acid material will destroy the stones)Also, they asked for international cooperation to protect the caves.
I love my hometown, I hope you will enjoy the traveling in Luoyang.
My email is yahoo.com.cn|zhou_dan83
ps: I am medical student in Zhengzhou University, If you want to know anything about Zhengzhou and Luoyang, Feel free to email me. I am glad to help
Jul 23, 2005 20:28
  • GAZ07
hey,

The elements, money-hungry western thieves and a certain Chinese icon who took it upon himself to organise a "cultural revolution" all contributed to the Longmen Caves being partially ruined.

That said, it doesn't take away any of their greatness. I highly recommend you make the visit. A simple train journey to Luoyang is all it takes. Public bus from Luoyang will take you there, or Hostelling International will organise a minivan for you (if your lazy).

Whilst your in Luoyang, you can also take a trip to the super-commercial Shaolin Temple Coorperation (home of King Fu) should you be interested.

As for Luoyang, I thought it was a bit of a craphole, if it isn't too wrong to say so. Although if you enjoy street food, look/ask for the food market! It's great.

Have a nice trip.
Jul 24, 2005 01:50
  • MISHEN
It's not difficult to get to the grottoes at Luoyang. There's a bus from the train station that goes all the way to the caves for just one yuan.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Caves at Longmen
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code