Menu
Good girl, Sharapova!
Jan 22, 2008 22:10
  • KEVIN0518
The game between Sharapova and Henin was over and Sharapova had a stunning victory over Henin. Meanwhile, She ended Henin's record---32 coninous victories. Really unbelievable!

It seems that Sharapova is very likely to claim the champion of Women's Singles. Her strong rivals Davenport, Sisters Williams and Henin were out. Hope she can realize her dream.

For Men's Singles, Nadal and Tsonga have advanced to the semi-finals. Federer and Djokovic will meet in the semi-finals if they defeat their rivals. So far, Nadal and Djokovic haven't lost a set in their games. It seems that they are eager to seize the champion.

What's more, Yan Zi and Zheng Jie defeated Sisters Williams. Congratulations to them.

Jan 23, 2008 19:13
  • SERENA07
Sharapova gained a victory over Henin by her loud shouts. It is said that her shouts had exceeded 100 db, which equals the noise made by a small jet airplane when it lands!

This is enough to bother Henin. And Henin is really not in good condition. So is the result.

Anyway congratulations and good luck to Sharapova!
Jan 23, 2008 20:27
  • JIMMYB
"It is said that her shouts had exceeded 100 db, which equals the noise made by a small jet airplane when it lands!"

Unbelievable! No wonder Henin lost the game.

Jan 24, 2008 01:47
  • CANADAGUY
Yes, this is one area of Sharapova's game that is not 'sportsmanlike'.

Shouting/shrieking/grunting or any noise-making for that matter should not be tolerated in tennis.

I hope some day soon the officials will make this ruling. In the meantime the players will have to try to block out the distraction.

I have always had my own solution when I played players who made loud noises.

I deliberately made very loud grunts when I struck the ball. Very soon my opponents would get the message and miraculously their noises would be toned down! :)

Apart from this one area, I really enjoy Sharapova's game. I hope she can win her third Grand Slam this weekend!

Jan 24, 2008 02:01
  • KEVIN0518
Quote:"I deliberately made very loud grunts when I struck the ball. Very soon my opponents would get the message and miraculously their noises would be toned down! :)"

Is it useful? You should have told this to Henin when she played with Sharapova, Canadaguy. Then the game would be more interesting and exciting. Sharapova is very close to her third Grand Slam. Just come on!
Jan 24, 2008 21:39
  • CANADAGUY
>>Is it useful? You should have told this to Henin when she played with Sharapova, Canadaguy. Then the game would be more interesting and exciting. Sharapova is very close to her third Grand Slam. Just come on! <<

Well apparently what I used to do in my amateur games is not permitted in professional tennis!

For some strange reason the rules state that you are not allowed to 'deliberately' make noises to distract an opponent.

So if Henin all of a sudden started to make noises during a Sharapova match, when she was striking her balls, she would be penalized for it!

That's right. Sharapova would be allowed to continue with her noise but Henin wouldn't be allowed to make her new noise!
This is because Sharapova's noises would be considered 'natural' whereas Henin's would be considered 'artificial' and deliberate.

I know this seems very unfair, but apparently these are the rules that stand today in pro-tennis.

The crazy thing is that I have seen Sharapova and Nadal play many games and sets
where they have 'turned off' their shrieks and grunts. Game after game they would be quiet. What did this prove?
1. It proved that they can play quietly.
2. That they can control their noises.
3. That they use their noises at strategic points in matches to intimidate their opponents.

Jan 25, 2008 03:04
  • KEVIN0518
Quote:" That's right. Sharapova would be allowed to continue with her noise but Henin wouldn't be allowed to make her new noise! This is because Sharapova's noises would be considered 'natural' whereas Henin's would be considered 'artificial' and deliberate."

It seems that Sharapova has some strategies for Henin. Sharapova shouts loudly because she is so exciting and is in good condition.

"The crazy thing is that I have seen Sharapova and Nadal play many games and sets
where they have 'turned off' their shrieks and grunts. Game after game they would be quiet."

What are the results when they play quietly? If they lose the games, it is very normal. Why? They are trapped in 'trouble' and don't have strength to shout and grunt. BTW, does Federer grunt when he plays?
Jan 25, 2008 23:40
  • CANADAGUY
>>What are the results when they play quietly? If they lose the games, it is very normal. Why? They are trapped in 'trouble' and don't have strength to shout and grunt. <<

They are usually quiet in two situations.
If they are losing they will both get much quieter.

If they are winning by a very big margin they will also get quieter.

>>BTW, does Federer grunt when he plays?

No Federer doesn't make any sound when he hits the ball. If he wins an important point he will yell out something to boost his adrenalin.

Jan 27, 2008 19:22
  • KEVIN0518
"If they are winning by a very big margin they will also get quieter."

Why? Do they think that they win the games so easily?

Sharapova succeeds in seizing the champion. If she could keep the momentum, I am sure that she will give us more 'surprises' this year.
Jan 27, 2008 20:01
  • CANADAGUY
>>"If they are winning by a very big margin they will also get quieter."

>Why? Do they think that they win the games so easily?

Yes. When they build a big lead, their confidence goes up and they don't need to rely on 'cheap tactics' like grunting or screaming to distract or disturb their opponents.

>>Sharapova succeeds in seizing the champion. If she could keep the momentum, I am sure that she will give us more 'surprises' this year.<<

Yes I hope she has a very successful year!
Jan 28, 2008 21:14
  • KATRINA
You two must watch Women's final? I just have a question for you: Who is more beautiful, Sharapova or Ana Ivanovic?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Good girl, Sharapova!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code