Menu
Who was the murderer?
Jan 24, 2008 01:13
  • ZOEY
A Junior student in a college was crowded out of the platform in the railway station by people and was crashed by a train. The tragedy happened on the first day of the Spring Transportation in Wuhu. Right now, this addicent has been discussed heatedly. Who was the murderer? Ma Minglei, who was in the same college with that girl and witnessed her death says on the internet:" People who were on the platform and tried to crowd into the train at that time are all guilty and they should be responsible for her death." While others think that the railway station should take the responsibility. They didn't do what they should do, assigning more people to patrol on the platform and to maintain the order. Most importantly, they shouldn't have sold too many tickets to the passengers. Originally, they only could sell 40 tickets. But they sold out 484 tickets.

Who was the murderer? What are your comments on this tragedy?
Jan 24, 2008 06:35
  • WCTMAN
The people responsible for this are the members of govt., who don't have the sense to stagger holidays amongst a population of over 1 billion people.
Jan 24, 2008 11:33
  • DAVEC
It is tragic accident but do we always need to blame someone for an accident? If the person was deliberately pushed thats different.
How many people here have pushed and shoved while being in a queue, probably everyone, and you had no thought of others while you did it. Just focussed on what you wanted and ignored those around you.

I suggest maybe a culture change. In the west we call in queueing, we stand and wait patiently.
Jan 24, 2008 19:22
  • SHESGOTTOBE
This is just a piece of something bigger. Maybe it happened for a reason.

Yes, people should queue and wait for their turn. And yes, maybe a staggered holiday system or selling less tickets.

Unintentional it may be, but her death hopefully will change things. If not, she died for nothing.

“If everything in the world wasn’t connected to some part of the whole, then we’d all just fall apart.”
Jan 25, 2008 18:52
  • APAULT
In most countries it is not 'murder' as no one intended the death to occur, nor took specific actions where death was a likely outcome.

Should someone be held responsible and brought to account? In most western law, probably someone should be held responsible. Firstly, we should consider if the authorities should have forseen the possibility and exercised what is called a 'duty of care'? Secondly, if there was a possibility of an accident did the authorities put all possible procedures in places to prevent such an accident, and on this occasion were the procedures followed?

My guess is that the authorities failed in their 'duty of care', but this is typical of most things in China. Well, it seems to be a new concept to China, but from what I have read there is now some case precedence for the concept. We should expect to see this idea become more accepted in coming years.

If the authorities really failed to carry out their duties according to regulations we might have 'criminal negligence' as they broke the law by not fulfilling their duties. Then the resposible persond should be prosecuted according to the law.
Jan 26, 2008 02:15
  • CARLOS
I agree with Dave, not always rational or even possible to find out who´s fault something is. Some things just happen.
About queueing, really seems like Chinese way to do it is to push oneself into queue from the side of the queue, not from the end of it. I have queued couple of times at Nanning railway station and it was a painful, although in some way funny experience.
If possible, even more painful it was at GZ, when all people tried to get out from the station same time. Wondered don´t they know there is a gate from which only one person at time is allowed through?
Jan 26, 2008 20:56
  • ELLEN77
It is really a tragedy, I think the government and the railway station station should be blame for what had happened. we could blame those unquequing people, but the real situation is that if they don't queque, they will have no chance to return home. The adjustment of the golden week has increased more presure to the railway transport capacity. And the railway station don't regulate much, and they consider less about the passengers than their profit. Think why there were already crowded people on the train before the tradedy happened?

Jan 27, 2008 16:10
  • DAVEC
I think that really what needs to happen is look at the problem and work out how to fix it so it doesnt happen again.
We all need to get away from the American 'blame culture' where someone is to blame for everything and so should be sued for it. I hear that the word accident has been removed from their dictionary.
Clearly it is terrible that it happened and something needs to be done about it so it never happens in the future.
Jan 27, 2008 19:54
  • KEVIN0518
I read this report. It is said that only three staff have been dismissed and the railway station has compromised with that girl's parents--to pay about 500000 yuan. 500000 yuan is too much but can it buy that girl's life? Just dismiss three staff? I guess that the punishment is too light.

Jan 29, 2008 03:50
  • DODGER
Perhaps the question should be “am I my brother’s keeper”
Are we all responsible in some way to the behavior of the society that we live in?
We can all play a small part in our own way by not acting in the same way as the herd; by not pushing and shoving, by not sounding our horn in traffic at some rude driver, by giving up our seat on a crowded train to an older person or to a woman with a young child.
OK, pulpit time is over.
Dodger.
Jan 30, 2008 19:48
  • JIMMYB
Good words, Dodger. But I wonder if those passengers could do as you say. In that situation, they all think about crowding into the train and getting back home. If they fail, they wouldn't go back home. You have come to China several times. I am sure that you have witnessed many times that people jump the queue. What do you think of it? If all people jump the queue and you just stand there and wait quietly, somebody may think that there is something wrong with your brain. I am such an idiot who was queuing quietly to have lunch in college and finally found that nothing was left.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Who was the murderer?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code