Menu
Any advice for F & E trip to China
Jan 13, 2005 13:14
  • EDYHARTO
Hi, everybody,

My wife and I are planning a free & easy trip to China. Our intended itinerary is - Shanghai-Luoyang, Xian, Kunming, Guilin (Yangshuo), Guangzhou, Shantou.

We need advice on:
(a) train/bus trips or plane for each city;
(b) what is the weather like during March/Apr 05
(c) tours - can we buy tours at location?

Please email me your replies if you can = yahoo.com.sg|edyharto. Thank you very much.
Jan 13, 2005 17:09
  • DEE0228
hi !
To guarantee your train tickets, I suggest you take train from Shanghai to Zhengzhou, then take a short bus trip to Luoyang. Following are the trains information:
K152 Shanghai/ Zhengzhou 14hours
N351 Zhengzhou/ Xian 7 hours
K165 Xian/ Kunming 37hours
2056 Kunming/ Guilin 20hours
K35 Guilin/ Guangzhou 13 Hours
N757 Guangzhou/ Shantou 7 hours
The weather during March/Apr 05 is cool in Xian and Luoyang, mild in Kunming and Guilin, and warm in Guangzhou and Shantou.
Jan 13, 2005 17:28
  • EDYHARTO
Thank you Dee for the information. How can we secure the train/bus tickets. Is it possible to do this, say, when we arrive at Shanghai, we buy the train tickets to Zhengzhou, take one or two tours in Zhengzhou and buy the train/bus ticket to travel to Luoyang and so on...Thank you..
Jan 13, 2005 18:21
  • ANTHEA
I think you can do so. Train tickets are not difficult to book in March or April. Usually your hotel can offer tickets reservation service with a service charge of RMB20 to 50 accordingly.

There are no need to pre-book bus tickets since you can get on a bus and then pay the busman. There are always many buses to those scenic spots.
Jan 14, 2005 09:14
  • EDYHARTO
Thank you Anthea - What about days tours at the location. Does the hotel provide the service for booking the tours? I see that train journeys take over a long stretch of time possibly over 12 hours - for this long journey, does it stop for refreshment or a rest along the way?
Jan 14, 2005 12:27
  • ANTHEA
Hi EDYHARTO, I would not suggest you take the tours offered by hotels, they may rather scheap, but you'll regret after board on their bus. The guides will lead you to many many shops and waste most of your time there, thus little time on the scenic spots. So find a reliable tour agency and book your tours beforehand, maybe the price is higher, but the service can be guaranteed.

For the train journey, there are many stops along its way, usually every one or two hours a stop, about 5 to 20 minutes. It's no need for you to get off the train, there are dining hall on the train. While according to my experiences, bring some food with you is necessary, coz the foof on the train is indeed not delicious :)
Jan 17, 2005 10:54
  • EDYHARTO
Hello, Anthea, Yeah, I agree with you that some local tours can be cheap but waste their time at many many shops....We will do as suggested. Do you know of any reliable tour agency which I could book over the internet?

The last train journey we had was from Dali to Lijiang. It was a wonderful trip. It took place in the night so we more or less slept all the way. We did not try the food on board the train. We will be mindful to bring along some food on our next journey..

According to travel guides, the climate of the cities we wanted to travel to during March/April
05 is between 8-18*C. We don't know how cold this is. What warm clothings do you think we should we bring? Thanks.

Jan 17, 2005 11:42
  • ANTHEA
For clothing, that may partly depends on where you live now. If you are from torrid zone, then thick coat and woolen sweaters are necessary. If you come from temperate zone or frigid zone country, then I presume a long-sleeve shirt and a jacket is enough, or a dust coat.

8-18 C is the most pleasant temperature in my mind, neither hot nor cold. So just enjoy the prosperous spring!
Jan 17, 2005 22:56
  • EDYHARTO
Thank you Anthea for your quick response. We hail from Singapore which is warm all year round. Suffice to say, we are fearful of cold weather...
I still can't imagine how cold is 8-18 C which you said is most pleasant... I suppose we have to come prepared, otherwise we will have no place to hide when the cold wind blows..
Jan 18, 2005 09:19
  • ANTHEA
So I'm curious how do the weatherman broadcast weather in Singapore? 8-18 C means 46F-65F in Fahrenheit.

After I searched some info about the climatic data of Singapore, I understand why you can not imagine what is 8-18C like. The lowest temperature there is about 23C, right?

So at least prepare one woolen sweater, then a topcoat or dust coat, cotton-padded jacket is necessary for people who are very fearful of coldness.
Jan 18, 2005 11:18
  • EDYHARTO
Actually, I found the info on the climate in the net. But I was concerned whether or not it is a true reflection of the actual climate. The last time we went to Beijing,it was reported to be only 8C but upon arrival it was nearly 0C!

I don't think we will ever get 23C in Singapore during the day, and if at all it goes down to that at night, it could be only once in a blue moon. Usually it hovers around 32C which is rather warm...

Just wonder if you know of any package tour to Tokyo from China..
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Any advice for F & E trip to China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code