Menu
The cost of a wedding
Jan 26, 2008 18:49
  • TIGERPAUL
What do you think the average cost of a wedding would be in China?

I know the cost can vary enormously but what do you think would be acceptable? Would the guy have to pay for the wedding? Does the father of the bride pay?

If the guy is a foreigner, does that mean he is deemed to be richer so he has to pay?

Also, how much different do you think it would be in Taiwan, compared to China
Jan 26, 2008 19:05
  • ELLEN77
In mainland China here, usually the man pays most of the money cost on the wedding. A common wedding costs about CNY 30,000, except the house. But the woman will not care about who pays more money if their love is very deep, or if the woman is richer.
Jan 27, 2008 02:25
  • GUBEADS
I just married ,it cost about 40000 RMB ,My boyfriend and me pay together .
Jan 27, 2008 04:59
  • JABAROOTOO
Keep in mind that invited family and guests normally give financial gifts to the bride and groom which help to defray the cost but these seem expensive. What a bout a breakdown or itemized account.

Photos
Hire or banquet room and marriage MC
Meal
Flowers
Legals etc
Jan 28, 2008 13:11
GUEST14274 It depends also which part of China you going to have wedding. It will be lots of cultural issue involving rather than a simple figure.
Jan 28, 2008 18:48
  • GRIZ326
If $4 or $5 thousand USD for a wedding gives you pause; I encourage you to reflect further on getting married. Money is such a small obstacle and fate surely has real dandies in store for you as you get older...just like it has for all of us old people ;-)

Good luck.
Jan 28, 2008 18:53
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Very informative. ^_^

Not so surprising that the controversial “the house” got mentioned again. Great to know that some women do not mind chipping in for love.

30,000 – 40,000 RMB (USD 4,100 – USD 5,500) doesn’t sound too expensive if there are a lot of guests. I assume this includes the ceremony, wedding attires, flowers, photo/video services, payments for the venues, etc? If reception is included in that amount, that covers about how many people?
Jan 29, 2008 07:43
  • TIGERPAUL
No that is not really that expensive at all, I was just asking because I know nothing about these things. I am guessing Taiwan would be a lot more than that though.
Jan 29, 2008 09:44
  • MARRIE
TigerPaul,

It depends on who you marry. In my homecity (Shanghai), I hear lots of youth don't have wedding ceremony when married and just do registration. The thing matters is shelter, which generally costs RMB 1,000,000 - 2,000,000. Young Couple work together to feed the house (apartment) for the rest of their life.
Jan 29, 2008 19:37
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Woo….tricky… That means you have to marry a man who is willing to let you work, so both of you can help each other to pay for the house. Otherwise, he should be willing to shoulder providing not just the house, but paying for everything as well.
Jan 29, 2008 22:06
  • MARRIE
SHESGOTBE, if a woman regards herself to be equal to man, she won't take that marrige or her man is her free bank for granted.

Sure you can reserve your values coz we are from different cultures.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The cost of a wedding
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code