Menu
What makes a man?
Jan 31, 2008 02:04
  • SUMMERSNOW
I got an inspiring poem" what makes a man?". Don't know who composed the poem.

Do you fear the force of the wind'
The slash of the rain?

Go face them and fight them,
Be savage again .
Go hungry and cold like the wolf
Go wade like the crane.

The palms of your hands will thicken,
The skin of your cheeks will tan

You’ll grow ragged and weary and swarthy,
But you will walk like a man!

Do you identify with the characteristics that the poem advocates?

" How many roads should a man take before we can him a man?"
Has anyone know where this line comes from? Thanks!

Jan 31, 2008 04:02
  • DODGER
The words “How many roads should a man take before we can him a man?" come from a Bob Dylan song surly.

The first finishes with the words “and then you will be a Man my son”
But the real meaning of being a Man has been redefined in resent times and most of us are now completely confessed as to “what are Woman looking for in a Man”
Dodger.
Jan 31, 2008 11:48
  • GRIZ326
The first part of your post is a Hamlin Garland song.

Google found it:

http://people.uncw.edu/newlink/garland/song.htm
Jan 31, 2008 12:08
  • JCNILE123
Every individual is a man on his on, I cannot judge not ones manhood.

I can only judge my place in society, and my actions toward humankind.

From the abundance of the heart, ones mouth speaks.

A sick tree cannot bring into being healthy fruit.
Jan 31, 2008 12:41
  • MARRIE
quotes

''The palms of your hands will thicken,
The skin of your cheeks will tan

You’ll grow ragged and weary and swarthy,
But you will walk like a man!''

men's glamoure from his his experiencing many vicissitudes of life not from his handsome face or decent dress.

I hate the men who like to hide under women's skirts for shelter or afraid to shoulder responsibilities.

Jan 31, 2008 19:12
  • SHESGOTTOBE
It depends on who you ask. To some, being born with male organs is enough to be called a man.

It takes more than just masculine looks to be a man. It takes more than just brute strength to be a man. Being a man has something to do with his state of mind. This is just one woman's opinion.
Jan 31, 2008 21:40
  • SUNNYDREAM
What makes a man? The answer is: responsibility, care, love, bravery,consideration and magnanimity.
Do you agree with me, you guys?
Feb 1, 2008 03:55
  • DODGER
She and Sunnydream are absolutely correct IMO.
It takes more than having the organs hanging in your underwear to call your self a Man. The responsibility after fathering a family really brings it home.
Young children looking up to you and expecting You to be the best Dad on the block. And then the gradual handing over to those children of responsibility of their outcome into their own hands.
Perhaps a perverse thought ;is this a reason why some men turn Gay? Because they cannot withstand the pressure of guiding and guarding a family?
Dodger.
Feb 1, 2008 19:52
  • SHESGOTTOBE
LOL! Dodger. I don’t think that is the reason. I have gay friends since I was in high school and that is certainly not the reason why they turn gay. In fact, some gays want to raise families while some so-called men run away from responsibilities, like disappearing after their girlfriends got pregnant.
Feb 1, 2008 21:19
  • LEONARDO
Quote:
>>Perhaps a perverse thought ;is this a reason why some men turn Gay? Because they cannot withstand the pressure of guiding and guarding a family?<<

I back Shegottobe. That might not account for the reason why some men turn Gay. Being Gay is only a matter of sexual identity or sexual orientation. In fact, some gays do care about each other. To make it easily understood, I will illustrate my points through analyzing one of my favorite movie American Beauty. In the movie, the "normal hetero couples" face many problems. Their life principle is " in order to be successful, you always have to look successful on the outside". Their relations have been cooled off and they seems to be completely emotionally disconnected. The military general Fitz run a militant household. He is so-called man who tried his best to shoulder every responsibilities for his son and his wife. He tried to arrage everything for his son. Externally, he is typically masculine and may be a little " androcentrism". To the astonishment of his neighbor Lester and the viewers, the military man may astonish you as well. He is gay himself. The military man's greatest fear is that his son will become gay and he believes that he can only prevent that from happening by being as tough on his son as possible and by never showing any feelings or weakness ( whinch is the same in his eyes).The gay couple in the neighborhood is always shown as happy, suggesting that gay couples don't have the same problems as straight ones. They care about each other and do morning exercises together. The military man picks on them as " staging gay parade."

Finally, to the original question, "what makes a man", I am utterly in favor of Dodger's opinion. Being a man should not be a biological (physical) matter. As sunnydream suggests, it means responsibility, care, love, bravery,consideration and magnanimity.
Feb 2, 2008 19:53
  • YVONNE
"How many roads should a man take before we can him a man?" I heard this song in the movie Forrest Gump. It was sung by Janey-Forrest's girl.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What makes a man?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code