Menu
What kinds of friends do you usually make?
Feb 3, 2008 02:52
  • SUMMERSNOW
"Be as careful of the books you read as of the company you keep, for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as the latter.-----Paxton"

This is quite a good analogy between reading books and making friends. What kinds of friends do you usually make? Friends will have a big influence on each other's behavior. I sticks to the belief that a friend in need is a friend indeed. Don't just make some friends who can
wine and dine with you, but escape when you are in trouble.
Feb 3, 2008 08:10
  • APAULT
Ah that phrase 'A friend in need is a friend indeed'. This is so often quoted to me in China but I have found that even many teachers do not understand it. Summersnow, you implied the correct meaning but please allow me to explain further.

It appears to say that a friend who is in need is a true friend...but we should be helping our friend so he/she is no longer in need, so why is he/she a true friend?

In fact this phrase is a shortening of a more explicit phrase: 'A friend who helps me when I am in need, is a friend indeed (true friend)'.

Feb 3, 2008 08:23
  • APAULT
Generally, I only make friends with people who do not smoke. Over the years I think I have made friends with people who are not money and career maniacs - ambition, a desire to be successful, and having a nice home are fine goals, but they can all be taken to extreme.

However, if we only make friends with people who have similar attitudes and read books that only fit our exisiting philosophy of life, we will become bigots. We must meet different types of people and read a range of books if we are to improve our minds.

I do not really have many long lasting friends as I am always moving - you just cannot keep friends from every place you stop for a while.
Feb 3, 2008 13:22
  • GRIZ326
I agree with Paul on this point.

A person is fortunate to find a handful of true friends - people who would help you in a moment of need - in their entire life.

Even though I smoke cigars, Paul, I believe we would enjoy each other. First, because I am a polite smoker who does not smoke when I am around none smokers; and secondly, because together we could solve the problems of the world over a few beers! ;-) ...oh yes...we probably would not have the same solutions...but we would have a roaring good time debating our different solutions! LOL
Feb 3, 2008 19:46
  • SHESGOTTOBE
My friends are usually the people I work with. Of course, I would avoid people if I know they are into drugs or been in and out of prison. I don’t drink and I don’t like going to bars either, so I tend not to have friends whose idea of fun is getting drunk or going to the bar. My idea of a Saturday night is dining with friends. My weekends can be a stroll at the parks, just relaxing, reading, watching movies, cookouts and barbecues or going to the mall. In summer, it can be road trips. Sure, that might sound boring to some but I don’t really care. I like a quiet life. I do my best to stay out of trouble. A peaceful life without problems is heaven to me, that’s why I am very choosy when it comes to people. Having common interests help but diversity adds spice, too. I like people who have other things going on in their lives besides just going out. Married people are perfect for that. LOL!
Feb 3, 2008 20:15
  • CHYNAGYRL
I often become good friends with people whom I work with, go to school with, or live in the same neighbourhood / city with. Isn't there an expression that describes this? It says, "A friend close by is better than a family member far away."

I like people who are pure of heart and a little innocent. They're not young but their eyes are young and they see the goodness in people. They are smart enough to protect themselves but kind enough to open their heart to another person and lend a helping hand. I suppose I am innocent too which is why this corresponds to my personality.

I usually like people who are creative, artistic, independent. I like them a bit wild too, and admire people who are spicy because they have the determination to get what they want out of life and to prove their worth to others who may doubt them. Sometimes i am too cautious so I respect someone who can challenge my limitations and open my mind to better ways of thinking and doing. So these are the friends I have. Not many close ones that I've maintained over the years, but the ones I do have I feel that we can speak our hearts to one another.
Feb 4, 2008 00:34
I make friends with many different kinds of people, but I do draw the line with idiots who cant hold there drink or do drugs.
Alan.
Feb 4, 2008 09:53
  • APAULT
U R right Griz, we do start from different positions on life, but that can make for interesting times too. A polite smoker? Hmmm, I will have to think about that one!!! I look forward to you coming to work in China - I'm sure we could yarn over a few beers. If we stay out of bars and clubs (which suits me anyway), Shesgottabee might join us too :)
Feb 5, 2008 08:34
  • CARLOS
I have very few friends if friends at work don´t count. Actually this is something I never have thought before. I don´t make friends easily and to create deeper friendship with me takes time. Maybe that´s my lost.

About smoking, I once offered dinner to my wife´s family. After having eaten her brother offered me a cigarette, but I said no, because there were children. When coming to hotel my wife told me that it was no good, because now her brother thought I was acting like I was better that others. Do whatever You do, there´s always someone putting a beam to ones nose.
Well, I smoke cigars too, so did not loose anything special.
After explaining case to my wife´s brother, everything was fine again.

Carlos
Feb 5, 2008 19:00
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Paul, I stay away from bars and clubs because normally people would go there to drink and get drunk. Not everyone does but you'll never know what can happen in a confined space with intoxicated people. Doesn’t really appeal to me because many people do not know their limit and create trouble for others, just like what Alan said. I have seen people made a fool of themselves when they’re drunk. One was torridly kissing a banana tree, one fell on a pond face first and one ran around the neighborhood completely naked. O_O
Feb 6, 2008 00:42
Talking of making a fool of yourself, I once had a few too many and fell over a wall and the rose bush outside the local hospital, just as the police were passing me, the policeman just laughed and said p*ssed again Gregory, lucky for me they knew me and that I don't cause trouble.
This was in the early 80's, I'm not sure I would get away with it now as the police in my home town don't know me anymore.
I hasten to add this was a rare occassion and that I had been to a party and drinking super strength lager.
Alan
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What kinds of friends do you usually make?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code