Menu
living in Kunming with children
Feb 6, 2008 12:47
  • KIWIS
Hello,
In August next year we will move with our family to Kunming.
Our family means two adults and 2 boys of 13 & 9 yrs old. Ofcourse we all have many questions, but aspecially the boys would like to know more about the sporting and social activities for children in the city.

Is there any family with children who can give us some advice or information? This would make our move for my boys a lot easier.

The boys will attend the international school in Kunming.

Thanks very much
Elise van Petersen
Feb 18, 2008 08:21
GUEST36108 living in kunming but i am boy chirdren hotmail.com|too.week1d
Feb 18, 2008 12:28
GUEST71228 Hello,

Is there really no one living in Kunming with children?

Elise
Feb 20, 2008 08:31
  • JABAROOTOO
Elise,
I'm sure there are several families with children living in Kunming but they may not be members of this forum or any other for that matter.

Can I suggest that you wait until you get to Kunming and your children will then meet the other students in their school who will most likely have all the information that you need.

Here in Chongqing our expat community is smaller than that of Kunming but you would be surprised at the things that everyone shares with each other in the way of having a fairly normal life.

Relax - you will be just fine. Give yourselves a few weeks to settle in and make the adjustments and your boys will do OK. . It's different but but I'm sure they will make the necessary adjustments along with you.

Try this website www.gokunming.com

All the best and welcome to China
Feb 23, 2008 02:09
GUEST60156 Hello,

We will be fine, I know. but it just would be nice if we had some extra info.

Elise
Feb 23, 2008 22:50
  • APAULT
As far as mixing with local kids is concerned: if they play basketball they are IN! But don't expect to find competitions outside school like you probably have at home. Local students study after school, and when they have finished studying they study some more, and if they haven't actually fallen asleep at their desk, there might be a few minutes for the TV or the Net. At weekends they either go to school, or go to private lessons or they study at home.

Maybe they can bring some cricket gear ...... get some real sport underway.
Feb 25, 2008 01:30
  • KIWIS
Thanks Paul,

The cricket bat is already packed, but we have some doubts about the rugby ball!

The boys will find some kind of sport (biking, hiking, etc) they will like.

elise
Feb 26, 2008 08:04
  • JABAROOTOO
Bring anything they love. Even a frizbie. You may not always find a lot of space to toss/kick a ball but if you have the gear the kids can play and maybe even teach some of their new friends.
Mar 7, 2008 02:06
GUEST27185 Hi Elise. My name is Amina. Just wondering how you are going with your boys in Kunming. We are moving to Kunming in two weeks from Australia. My children are much younger, girl 2 and a boy 4 1/2. I know NO ONE in China so feeling a bit weird about the big move from Australia.
My email is hotmail.com|amina_eastham

I would love any info, tips or anything you can offer, info wise. We are renting an apartment in the centre near the lakes and hope to job share with my husband, maybe English teaching at first. Thankyou Amina
Mar 7, 2008 02:10
GUEST27185 Ooops silly me, I just read your first message and realized Elise that you are not moving to Kunming til Aug. Oh well. I guess you won't be able to help me then so here goes to anyone else who may have children in Kunming.

If you speak English then I would appreciate any tips or info regarding ex pats and children in Kunming. Thank you Amina
Apr 16, 2008 11:35
GUESTKAREN Hi,

We are considering a move to Kunming from the UK later this year. We have two children - a daughter of 11 and a son of 7. Does anyone home educate? My husband and I are both primary teachers, but we don't want our children to miss out on the social aspects of school friends. Is there just the one international school?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: living in Kunming with children
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code