Menu
How to get to Fenghuang and Guilin
Feb 7, 2008 06:14
  • DAVEC
I want to travel to Fenghuang and Guilin and will arrive in HK.
My provisional plan is to travel to Fenghuang and stay then come back down to Guilin and then down to Foshan and GZ before leaving through HK again.
The whole trip will be 3 weeks, can anyone make some suggestions as to what will be the easiest route for me to take without flying between the places?
Feb 17, 2008 02:52
  • BABYHARE
Hello DAVEC,

If you want to go to Fenghuang, you can fly to Zhangjiajie or Changsha and then take train or bus to Jishou and then hire a texi to Fenghuang. I went there last year, it is a nice small town.

If you want to ask more, please send me an e-mail: 163.com|babyhare

Good luck

Nancy
Feb 17, 2008 06:11
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Dave,
When I visited Fenghuang we took the train from Kaili to a little town at the rail head called Yuping near Tongren. From Tongren hired a taxi Y160 to Fenghuang because it was late in the day and the buses had stopped runnning.

Tongren is on the new rail connection between Guilin and Chengdu K651/654

It’s great trip through this area although much will be at night.
Check online for times - the train gets into Tongren early morning in. Tongren is a pleasant place and bus station is down town near the river.

The road was being upgraded when we visited and should be finished.
There are regular buses which will be much cheaper than a taxi if you are travelling alone but you will be dropped outside in the new town. We never did see where the bus station was as we managed to get a taxi when we left to head north to Jishou.
Feb 17, 2008 08:10
  • KSWONG
If u can overcome the language barrier, there is a direct flight from Guangzhou to Tongren airport, very small landing strip. From there u can take a taxi to FH, less than an hour away. The other airport (slightly further away) is Huaihua.
Feb 17, 2008 15:31
  • DAVEC
I am trying hard to avoid flying as I dont want to restrict myself with weight.

I thought maybe getting train from Guangzhou to Changsha, from there my maps show a railway line across to Huaihua. Can I get a train to there and taxi onwards?
Feb 18, 2008 02:17
  • JABAROOTOO
K192/K193 Guangzhou to Chengdu stops at both Tongren and Huaihua which is a little closer. Not sure what taxi costs from Huaihua but could be similar to that from Tongren Y150 or it could be more.
Feb 18, 2008 16:43
  • DAVEC
Do you have an up to date link for website that gives train timetables and places?
Mine shows Huaihua but not Tongren and an arrival time of near midnight.
Feb 20, 2008 08:22
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Dave,

I use the TRAIN tab at the top of this page. Then I usually choose a large city that may be a better final destination to than the smaller one I'm looking at buying tickets for.

Another good website for maps is
http://www.maps-of-china.net so you can see more clearly where places are in relation to each other. ie which is close etc.

It will not be as up to date with rail lines but it is a very clear map with place names in pinying and Hanzi as well as places of interest.

All the best with your plans. You'll love Fenghuang and do get out to the surrounding villages and the old fortified city. If you travel from Tongren during daylight you'll also see some stone watch towers in the distance. Try to avoid being in the old town on the weekend as it gets busy.
Feb 21, 2008 04:09
  • DAVEC
Thanks for the info, all the time I have been on this site I didnt see the train section.
Looks like it wont be too hard for me to get around.
Feb 24, 2008 02:23
  • ELLYSE
Guilin -- Huaihua: K651/K654 (1349--0007, 10h20min). Fare ranges from 87 RMB (hard seat) to 245 RMB (soft sleeper lower bunk). Stay overnight in Huaihua and then take a 3-hour bus ride to Fenghuang.
Mar 1, 2008 14:54
  • DAVEC
I think this is the route I will take.
My only concern is arriving just after midnight, can I get a hotel at that hour?
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to get to Fenghuang and Guilin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code