Menu
Why do Chinese people eat dumplings on Spring Festival?
Feb 13, 2008 01:40
  • ICEBERG
On the first day of Chinese New Year (Lunar calendar), Chinese people eat dumplings. Usually, they make dumplings ready before 12 0'clock at New Year's Eve and have them when the New Year comes. While making dumplings, they wrap coins, dates, peanuts and chestnuts in them. Do you know why? Why do Chinese people have dumplings on January 1st on Chinese luar calendar? Just make a guess.
Feb 13, 2008 02:29
  • SEAHOME
It is said that dumplings were first known in China some 1,600 years ago. Its Chinese pronunciation Jiaozi means midnight or the end and the beginning of time, symbolizing "bidding farewell to the old and ushering in the new". Also, the shape of the dumplings looks like gold ingot from ancient China. So people eat them and wish for money and treasure.

Winston
Feb 13, 2008 20:48
  • BBQQ
Jiaozi contains fillings, symbolizing a full life and a good harvest in the coming year.
Feb 17, 2008 09:37
  • APAULT
In Hebei I was told that for the ordinary workers they are realtively expensive to make as they contain meat. So they were only eaten at the important annual Spring Festival.
Dec 4, 2008 13:39
GUESTSAMI! This doesn't make since.
Jan 30, 2011 18:36
GUEST14859 cu it's traditional.
Feb 3, 2011 20:05
  • MARRIE
Not all Chinese eat dumpling on Chinese New Year Day. It depends where you live. In Jiang Nan, we usually eat home-made spring roll stuffed with Chinese Cabbage, Port slice and young bamboo shoot and the other must eat is fried rice cake with Chinese Cabbage, pork and bamboo shoot. Those two snacks/dishes are the most classic in our areas.

Feb 9, 2011 22:11
I ate dumplings on the first day of the new near according to Chinese lunar calendar. My family made dumplings on New Year's Eve and my mom cooked the dumplings next morning. Very delicious!
Feb 12, 2011 21:55
GUEST2811 The dumpling resembles a gold ingot. People eat dumplings on the first day of the new year in hope of bringing in wealth and riches.
Mar 6, 2015 21:16
GUEST06714 thx
Apr 29, 2015 00:51
Hi there, I am new to this forum, and I hope I am not that late. Anyways, about this topic, as I reside here in hong kong we also eat dumplings in New Year and Spring Festival since it symbolizes wealth and prosperity. We believed that it can give an all year round prosperity in life!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do Chinese people eat dumplings on Spring Festival?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code