Menu
Altitude Sickness in Tibet
Feb 15, 2008 21:42
guestAnne I am looking at traveling to China in October 2008 and would like to include a couple of days in Tibet as well as a journey on the train from Lhasa to Xian. I am looking at flying into Lhasa to start. Do you have any comments on altitude sickness. Nothing worse than being sick on holidays.
Feb 16, 2008 10:18
  • BARONTWANGLE
Where are you planning on flying into Lhasa from? If it is from somewhere at, or close to sea level, then you might be in for a shock! Altitude sickness is unpredictable, and affects some people badly, and others not at all. If you do get it, then you won't feel like doing any sight seeing. You will probably have trouble sleeping at night, constantly waking up out of breath. Even doing things like cleaning your teeth leave you gasping. I have never been to Tibet, but I spent a month in Bolivia, above 4000m, and I was soooooo pleased to get back to sea level. As far as I am aware, there is no preparation you can do, except ascend slowly, and allow your red blood count to increase. But as you are flying in, and only staying for a short while, there isn't much chance of doing that. Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get affected. Good luck.
Feb 18, 2008 14:28
  • SPOERLE
I just spent af few days in Switzerland. I stayed one night at the Gornergrat Kulm Hotel at 3100 meters.n Ther was no problem even when I walked up the next day a few hundred meters higher. But we visited a Swiss friend. She told me that she has problems with high altidude even in Zermatt = approx 1700 meters abover sea level.
So go and see a doctor and check your health.
Feb 19, 2008 04:49
  • FAERIEQUEENE
if you haven't been 3 500 m before you dont know how your body will react, regardless your fitness and age.

Slow ascent is the key, and allow time for acclimatisation. The general rule is not to ascend and sleep at more than 300 m a day

Most people allow the first day on arrival to Lhasa for doing nothing and can acclimatise. If you are too worried about it, start from Chengdu for example
Aug 20, 2008 03:33
GUEST23216 Acute Mountain Sickness(AMS) is common at high altitudes, and depends on the elevation, the rate of ascent and individual susceptibility. Most visitors to Tibet will suffer from at least some symptoms that will generally disappear through acclimatization in several hours to several days.

The following precautions may help to prevent or lessen the effects of AMS:

http://www.mytibettravel.com/about/AMStips.html
Post a Reply to: Altitude Sickness in Tibet
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code